Chapter 1

"I've got this." I said to my mum for the sixth time already.

You'd think finally going to Uni would get me some independence. But here she was, fussing over me through the hallways all the way up to my room. It didn't help that I was starting a whole week late and would be resuming after most of the school.

I internally sighed as I saw my room number appear in sight.

Room 69.

I smirked at the number, I heard my mum sigh in distaste around me as she pushed open the door and began dragging my boxes into the room.

There were two beds, one on either corner and closets next to each other at the other side of the room. Nothing too fancy. Typical college dorm.

The scattered state of the other bed immediately reminded me that I would be living with someone. A roommate. And all of a sudden, my palms became sweaty. I heaved some of my bags into the room, trying desperately to take my mind off the fact I would have to live with a roommate. There was a faint scent of soap in the air, it smelt nice.

"Seems like your roommate is a slob," my mum commented. It took everything in me not to roll my eyes. So what her bed was a little disarranged? This is college, she probably woke up late rushing for her class and didn't have time to make her bed. I could see the judgement seeping off my mother's face. But I didn't say anything. Just like always.

My mum went over to my closet and began arranging stuff into them, saying things all the while. I sat on my bed and let her do her thing. I was exhausted, I had been on an airplane for the past few hours. I had not slept a blink and had to move into college.

At that point the room door flew open and a group of boys walked in, talking at the top of their voices. They noticed me gaping at them along with the shocked look on my mums face and they hurriedly made their way out...all except one boy-actually, a girl.

She had short dark hair that fell into her dark green eyes, tattoos literally crawling in sleeves down her arms and was dressed in a sweat-shirt and pants. She was beautiful. And staring straight at me with a look I couldn't quite decipher.

"There's no way I am letting you be roommates with a boy! Especially a thug at that!" my mum suddenly yelled and I felt myself shiver in embarrassment.

The beautiful girl didn't look offended at all-rather, amused..?

"Firstly, I'm actually a girl," her voice was strong when she spoke, "and I'd be sure to keep my 'thug-life' far away from your innocent little princess over here."

Innocent? What makes her think I'm innocent- and the way she said 'princess', in a condescending way. She was no longer staring at me, but instead her eyes were fixated on my mum and they seemed to be having a mental war.

"Anyways...I'm Covey, I'm a Sophomore, and I'm guessing you'd be my new roommate for the rest of the year." Her attention was back to me and her arm was outstretched.

I knew the right thing to do was to shake it, but I just sat there staring at her lean arms like an idiot.

"She's Lara-Jean," my mum replied curtly. She came in front of me, crossed her arms in front of her chest and began eyeballing Covey who took her outstretched arm back and rolled her eyes.

"Fine, I'd let you two get back to it."

She rolled her eyes some more and walked out of the room, making sure to slam the door behind her. I felt my heart drop a little.

"What a badly behaved child," my mum said in disgust,"did you see how she slammed the door! And her appearance...I'm sure she's a dirty homosexual."

A felt a deep pain in my chest, but again I said nothing. Just sat there and pretended to be occupied with unpacking. For the next few hours Covey didn't appear. My mum finally had to leave to catch her flight back home as we lived in a completely different state.

Putting my braids into a shower cap, I walked into the bathroom connected to our dorm and took a really hot shower. All the while my head was filled with thoughts: college, the life I had left behind at home and last but not least, Covey. My roommate.

It was around 1am that night when I finally saw the room door creak open and a figure came in. Covey went straight into the bathroom and I immediately heard the shower begin to run. Closing my eyes, I went to sleep.