Chapter 12

Covey

Lara-Jean lay in my hands where she had fallen asleep last night, crying and shivering. The sun was streaming through my window falling cutely on her face, with her eyelids fluttering softly.

There was a soft knock on my door and my dad appeared. I motioned for him not to make any noise as not to wake Lara-Jean, he pretended to zip his lips and I smiled.

"I've got to go to work, I'd see you gals later." My dad whispered before giving me a knowing look and quietly leaving my room.

There was no use denying it, my father probably was the one person on this earth that knew me more than I knew myself. He was all I had ever since my mum had run off with some aged billionaire. Kudos to her. I know he knew I liked Lara-Jean, I never ever brought anyone home, it was always just him and I.

He was just about obsessed with Lara-Jean.

"Covey." Lara-Jean suddenly mumbled into my neck, I felt my heart flutter.

"Yes Princess?" I whispered back, I didn't want to startle her.

"Thank you."

That was all she said but I understood her completely and I found myself smiling down at her.

I slowly but reluctantly got up, making sure not to shake the bed too much as Lara-Jean was still half asleep.

"I'm going down to start on breakfast." I said.

With her eyes still closed Lara-Jean nodded at me. I left the room, heading downstairs into the kitchen.

Pancakes and chocolate. From what I knew about Lara-Jean, these were two of her favorite things. I started bringing out the ingredients for chocolate pancakes, luckily for me I had acquired my dad's natural flair for cooking, so even when I tried new recipes it didn't always turn out a disaster.

"Wow, this smells wonderful."

Lara-Jean had appeared at the doorway dressed in a cute floral dress with her braids up in a bun. I smiled on impulse. She just looked so beautiful, I couldn't help it.

I know she had basically rejected me already but I was not willing to dwell on that.

I served her a plate and a plate for myself and watched her gobble the pancakes up, she genuinely looked so happy. I felt extremely warm just watching her.

"I wanna show you around town once we're done eating." I said, smiling down at her.

"Am I worthy?" Her mouth was filled with food as she looked up at me. It was absolutely disgusting but cute at the same time.

I hummed pretending to be deep in thought,"not really but I'd guess you'd do."

Lara-Jean laughed and syrup dripped down her chin, seeing her embarrassment caused me to bend over laughing.

After eating breakfast we cleaned up and headed out. We walked in comfortable silence for the first few minutes.

"Where are we going?" Lara-Jean asked, breaking the silence.

I smiled slightly as I glanced at her from the corner of my eyes. "You'd find out once we get there, be patient Princess."

She no longer complained about me calling her princess. She seemed to have accepted it. She was a princess though- not in a spoilt, stuck up way, but rather in a precious, needed to be protected at all costs manner. And she should know it.

"Maybe you're a psychopath and you're gonna kidnap me then kill me." Lara-Jean mumbled beside me.

I bit my lip to try to keep back my grin.

"Yup, so be careful. Don't let your Stockholm syndrome take over you." I retorted and I felt Lara-Jean stiffen beside me. The grin on my face only grew wider.

"Here we are." I announced, reaching out to grab Lara-Jean's hands, they were so cold. I massaged my hand unto them to warm them up as we turned into the Park.

This was where I had been going ever since I was a little child, I came here late at night to think. It was kind of a solace and I had never taken anyone here before.

"Swings." Lara-Jean cooed and dragged me along with her as she ran towards the swing sets. She looked so happy and I felt myself glow inside, her braids were flapping in the wind now, falling across her face.

She got into the swings and I stood a few meters away just watching her, knowing the swing set wouldn't be able to support both of our weights combined. Her legs kicking high in the air, her dress riding up and I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding and felt myself heat up.

"So..do you always bring all your little girlfriends here?" Lara-Jean questioned with a glint in her eyes.

I bit down on my lip, was she flirting with me? She must be getting an adrenaline rush from being so high in the air.

I pretended to be deep in thought, "not usually. Only the special ones.."

Only you.

I fixed my eyes on Lara-Jean at that point, her eyes locked with mine, and that was all we did. I was lost in her dark eyes and I was ready to lose myself some more. That was up until Lara-Jean lost alance and came flying off the swing, arms flying in the air.

Instinctively, I ran backwards. I managed to break her fall and we ended up; her sitting on top of me-legs straddling me and gazing down into my eyes. I gulped.

"Mummy, I want to go on the swing!"

Our eyes tore apart as a little blond haired kid came running up, his mother tottering behind him. Lara-Jean quickly got off me, it wouldn't show on her dark skin but I knew her body was heating up and not just because mine was doing the exact same thing.

"Okay Sam, but be careful." The mother called out, waving at her son. She then turned to us and smiled, her eyes crinkling up, nothing but genuine emotion radiating off her.

"You two are a beautiful couple"