14

"So... I died? You've got to be joking," [Your Name] guffawed out loud but the grave expressions of her parents contradicted her thoughts. Hope leapt from out the resurrected daughter's lap; apparently the situation too tense for even the feline to handle. "Oh my god...I'm a zombie."

"It's a lot to take in, I know," Mr [Last Name] sighed heavily, pushing back his greasy greying hair with a hand. "We were so distraught we couldn't believe it until we saw your body missing arm, leg and eyes... They had been gouged out. Your killer was caught fortunately but what justice was that...? What the reason? I...I...Oh god...I still see it."

[Name's] mother gently placed a supportive hand on her husband's shoulder as he buried his face in his hands as if they were a veil. Her face steeled and eyes, though shiny, were hard and sturdy. "Your killer had no reason, and when we confronted him the dirty bastard responded with a smirk and said, "why not?" How were we suppose to live and continue on after our own pride and joy were brutally murdered? We both silently agreed... We had to bring you back. And so we did. Do you want to say the rest honey or should I?"

"N-no, no, I can do it," the father sniffled, wiping at his face crudely with his sleeve. "Unable to move on, we searched for so long for anyone with a resurrection quirk, spending countless hours and a fortune to find anyone with such a quirk. We nearly went homeless and it was all in vain; we had found no one. And so, we went to the last people we should have thought of first, Mango and his father. Scared, depressed and on the verge of exhaustion, we found him in his usual domain in the forest.

Turns out, he had loved you just as much as we did and his quirk was the thing we had been looking for. The power to exchange life force between anything organic, to give and to take, and had apparently been living for more years than he should have by absorbing life out of woodland creatures that happened to cross his path. He ended it all, taking the ultimate sacrifice to give his own life to bring back yours and, during the process, it brought back you a new arm, leg and eyes. He said you were only a child and had died too soon to not truly live at all. Must have made new genes expressed or something I don't know but suddenly my baby had purple eyes."

"And that's how my eye's changed colour and I don't remember anything before I was five... My eyes were literally replaced... Why doesn't Mango remember anything about it either?" [Name] speculated, caressing her eyelid at the new perspective that her current eyes weren't her first. 

"As said before, Mango's father had the power to give and take but not only life force but memories as well," Mrs [Last Name] continued for her husband. "In the meantime, he took away his son memory of the whole incident also. Mango was perhaps even more devastated than we were, his only true friend dead and father about to be. And to make it easier for him, Mango's father simply erased his memory and sent him off deep into the woods. Fucked, I know. After the whole incident, we spent weeks looking for Mango but it was like he had died also, he had disappeared... and after a while, we stopped looking altogether. But all that truly mattered to us was that you were alive."

Mrs [Last Name] cupped her daughter's cheek and brushed her thumb delicately under her eye, tears of happiness glistening in her own. [Name] couldn't help but tear up as well, her chest twisting into her knots, after everything that had happened... her parents had done it all for her. They loved her, even into death and back again. 

"I... Mum, I'm sorry about s-shouting at you earlier when I woke up I didn't mean it-" [Name] spoke in a fast jumble as she quickly broke down, launching herself into her mother's arm and shivering against her, sobbing loudly. Like dominos, her mother gasped and began to shake also, burying her face in her daughter's hair. "N-no no there's nothing about this to be s-sorry about. None of this is your fault. Don't y-you dare fucking say that again."