A Warm Welcome at the Castle Verthollow

When they leave, neither of them bother with bags because they don't have anything special to bring. Lena wants to temporarily forget her old life; he knows she might not want to come back. Patrick doesn't have any possessions besides his clothing, and Alistair said he would provide. Once the money is in place, they head to the marketplace where Alistair is waiting with a carriage.

Alistair teaches them to play cards on the ride over, which is a few days ride nonstop. Nothing notable happens, except the excruciatingly slow progression of spreading gold on Lena's body. She seems happier with the prospect of a cure, but Patrick sees how much it bothers her despite her not saying anything.

Patrick sees the castle in the distance before they are within an hours distance away. Patrick's never dreamed of seeing a castle up close, nevertheless living in one, even for a short time.

As they approach up the cobbled path, he watches Lena's eyes grow wide as she leans out the carriage window. It's bigger than Patrick thought, bigger than his whole village. The little town outside of the castle is larger than his own too.

"Look at that, Paddy," Lena breathes.

Alistair smiles at their reactions. They come to a stop once inside the castle walls and dismount from the carriage. Alistair helps Lena out and she and Patrick look all around.

Vines lace their way through the stones of the castle walls, stretching up to the sky. Wild roses grow along the edges, wrapping themselves in the vines. It's beautiful, but that doesn't stop the well of trepidation growing in Patrick's stomach.

Alistair leads them to their rooms and gives them time to settle in before dinner. Lena is just in the room next to his, but Patrick feels uneasy with Lena being away from him in the strange, new surroundings. Patrick scans the room. The bed is nicely made. It has a golden trim and has red roses stitched onto it. The drapes are gold and red. It's a lovely room, really. Patrick feels uncomfortable being in it, as a farm boy. He touches the folded clothes in the drawers. They're soft to the touch and he wonders if that's what silk feels like. Everything is so clean that he's afraid to dirty anything. Patrick doesn't think his house was ever this clean, even when it was first built.

Alistair had told him to change, so he pulls off his filthy clothes and folds them carefully, setting them on the floor to avoid dirtying the place. He pulls some clothing out of the dresser and finds himself in a golden vest and black pants. He studies himself in the mirror, a luxury he couldn't afford himself. His face is cleaner than normal, for he and Lena made sure to bathe in the river before they left. Patrick's fascinated by his image in such a clear form, though he's a bit put off by how much he looks like his mother: same brown hair and green eyes, same freckles scattered over a slender face. He had never noticed before.

Patrick turns around and opens the door. He wonders if Lena's ready. He peeks out, but once he hears footsteps he quickly shuts the door, heart pounding. Moments later, there is a soft knock at the door.

"Come in," Patrick says to the person outside.

A dark skinned woman in a white, buttoned dress opens the door. Her hair is pulled into a neatly made bun. Patrick notices her ears have a slight point to them.

"Good evening, m'lord," she greets politely. "Master Alistair has requested you come down to the dining hall and eat with him and the guests."

Patrick is taken aback by being called a lord. He can't be considered anything close to a lord.

"Could you take me there?" he asks the girl meekly. "I'm afraid I don't know my way around yet."

"Of course, m'lord." He still doesn't understand why she would refer to him that way. Was she told to?