Bits of News

Patrick doesn't know how to best go about talking to Rozenn. She's not like Alistair or Clementine and she's far from being close to Leif. To say he's nervous is an understatement, but he'll do what he needs to.

Early the next morning, he goes straight to Rozenn's office after making himself look presentable. She's constantly checking on her people around the castle and walking the camps, giving orders and getting updates. She gets up right before sunrise every single day and eats breakfast in her study while reading and responding to any letters she received. As it's still early, he hopes he can catch her there.

Jaide stands posted outside the room, back pin straight and hands clasped behind her. Her mouth twists up when she sees Patrick and he gives her a hesitant smile. He fiddles with the green string in his pocket. He hasn't got the nerve to get rid of it yet. Aodhan never said he had to.

"I would like to talk to Lady Rozenn, if that's all right," he states.

"Why?"

Patrick blinks. "I need to ask her about something."

Jaide rolls her eyes and she looks remarkably like Clementine. Brusquely, she responds, "Rozenn is down in the tents. Likely the big red one."

"Thank you," he says. He turns to leave, but has the nagging sensation that he needs to say something, so he pauses and adds, "I'm sorry Lena picked up the pendant and you got punished for it. We didn't know anything bad would happen and if we did, we would have stayed far away from it."

Jaide's gaze hardens. "Who told you I got demoted?"

"Lady Clementine."

Her lips purse and she leans against the door jamb, one hand on her hip. The tattoos on her hand are visible beyond her purple sleeve and Patrick briefly is drawn to look at them before he forces himself to look at her face.

"Has she talked much about me?"

"No."

Patrick can't tell if Jaide was upset by this. They stare at each other for a second longer before he begins to leave again, but is stopped by Jaide gesturing for him to come back. Awkwardly, he takes the step back toward her.

"I never thought we'd cross paths again," she says, "and now you're here and sworn to my sister. Why did you do that? Swear to her?"

Patrick falters. "I didn't know what else to do and I didn't want to be forced to swear to Rozenn. I knew she would protect me and I wanted to have a choice in something. That's the choice I made."

"She's not trustworthy."

"Ah, I don't think very many people are."

Patrick knows it simply depends on whose side one belongs to. He's been warned about Clementine and about Alistair and about Rozenn. If Alistair told him more about Aodhan back in the spring, Patrick doubts he ever would have trusted him. Lena hasn't been completely honest with him, either.

Jaide's harshness softens as her posture relaxes. "You're right about that, at least."

"Why do you dislike her so much?" Patrick questions impulsively.

"She didn't tell you? No, she wouldn't have. I doubt she thinks she did anything wrong." Jaide shakes her head. "Fae are like that."

"But aren't you fae?"

"Half-fae," Jaide answers, tucking her hair behind her ear. Patrick never noticed before, but though her ear is pointed, it's not as long or sharp as Clementine's. Her face isn't as angular. "My dad was a human. He raised me, but when he died, I thought my mother would take me."