Along the Lantern Trail

Brynjar is not what Patrick was expecting, but he seems nice enough. He's old though, nearing forty, his father's age. Then, after some deeper thought, Patrick is reminded about the fact that Aodhan and Aithne are hundreds of years old and he feels a little bad for thinking that.

On the other hand, Brynjar looks more a man than Patrick and William, both of whom have clean faces and wiry bodies. Brynjar reminds Patrick of his father, if his father had lived his dream of being a soldier for the king. Patrick thinks of his father, someone who he'll probably never see again and feels somewhat guilty. He hasn't gotten along with his father since he hit thirteen, but even still he feels some remorse for leaving. He hopes he's taking care of his mother like he should.

Aodhan is kind to Brynjar, despite his distaste toward Clementine. Patrick didn't think Aodhan could truly dislike anyone, he's always seemed so nice, but Patrick supposes not everyone can get along.

"Does Clementine know you're coming?" Patrick hears Aithne ask. "You'll be in her favor and maybe she'll help those four out."

"We're not asking Clementine for help," Aodhan cuts in. "Who knows what she'll want in return?"

"She might," Brynjar says. "Heard she's taken an interest in your little game."

"Of course she would know about this," Aodhan sighs. "She best not be too interested."

Brynjar shrugs, showing his disinterest in the conversation.

"She could help," Patrick says to Aodhan.

"She's fae," Aodhan answers. "You don't make deals with fae, especially an Unseelie."

That's why! Patrick realizes. Aodhan swore fealty to the Seelie so it would make sense that he dislikes her because she's not- but it's contradictory for him to say not to make deals with fae when he has.

It makes enough sense that Patrick doesn't ponder on the topic again.

Patrick looks over at Lena, wondering if she's put this together, but she's busy talking to William. Patrick doubts she's heard much of what's been said and he hopes she's gathered enough information to keep her from doing anything stupid (he has the strangest feeling she's going to do something stupid and he knows her well enough to know she always does).

Aithne goes to chatter to Brynjar, trying to make friends. Patrick doubts she'll get far; their personalities clash too much. So, Patrick sticks with Aodhan, which he's not exactly complaining about. He likes Aodhan best, aside from Lena.

They stick to the trail and Patrick listens to Lena and Aithne's chatter along the way. The Lantern Trail has a dirt path which is nice because his horse doesn't stoop to eat the grass every few seconds. It's obviously a popular way to travel; the trees have glass lanterns hanging from their branches and they pass a few wagons pulled by oxen.

They travel until the sun starts to go down. Then, Aithne finds a spot near the Tomyris, sheltered by the trees where they can stay and sleep until morning. Brynjar builds a fire pit which Aithne lights. The group gathers around the flames after tying their horses up. Patrick tries to eat his food slowly, but ends up scarfing it down, wishing he could eat more. It's just like home, the whole feeling hungry thing, but after staying at Alistair's, Patrick had quickly gotten used to eating all he wanted whenever he wanted. Lena looks a little unsatisfied too, and Patrick bets William hasn't eaten so little in his whole life.

Night falls soon after suppertime, and the white bark of the sycamores stand out against the darkness like ghosts. The Tomyris' water doesn't calm down a bit, and it's rough against Patrick's ears. He knows the Tomyris is the most dangerous of the three rivers, but he's never experienced it himself. The noise is easily three times as loud as the Posy and Patrick can't seem to force his eyes shut though he dabs some of the oil Aodhan got him on the collar of his shirt.