The Tidings of Spring

Another group meeting is called for, which means there's another boring yet stressful couple hours he has to get through. Signe brings King Leif and Ser Tiffany back to Chourmondeley through the portal and they join Tove at their section of the table.

"Alistair's defences have been significantly lowered," Rozenn says, hands folded in front of her. "It would be optimal to attack now."

"I'm not sending my men down to Wiceliwen," Clementine says. "I will, however, provide transport for yours. Leif's army is down there. That should be a sufficient amount of soldiers."

"Or Signe can send them through the Below," Jaide offers. "Wastes less time that way."

"It would be difficult to get them all there," Signe protests, shaking her head. "It would be safer to take them another way."

"She's right. With the god monster in the Celish paths, I wouldn't recommend it," Clementine agrees.

"God monster?" Leif demands. "That's the first I've heard of this. You mean in the portal?"

"The portal, yes."

Rozenn glances between the two of them, calculating. No one is on the same page here, not even her. "Signe said the god monster wouldn't be a problem."

"Don't stress about it," Clementine says.

Rozenn looks at Aodhan, who straightens in his seat and shrugs. "The portal there is open two ways. It could get out- that would be a problem. I do think closing the portal would be the best course of action."

"What would happen if this 'god monster' got out?" Tove questions.

"Well, higher scale god monsters like that one eat souls, for one. Unlike other beings in the Below, they have no compatibility with the living. The land where it walks would be turned into another layer of the Below."

"I will have to speak with the Seelie about this," Rozenn decides hesitantly. "For now, as long as it doesn't try to get out, I say we proceed as planned. It will be much easier to deal with that with Alistair out of the way."

"He and his army are camped out by the lake by the Posy. He should get to the Towers in about a fortnight," Leif informs.

"I'll start sending soldiers over there," Clementine says. "We can let him come to you."

Aodhan glances sharply at Clementine and she smiles thinly. The message is clear: say nothing. For a moment, Aodhan looks like he might, then he schools his face back to its unbothered state.

What? Patrick thinks, zoning out of the conversation around him, wondering if anyone else noticed their quick exchange. Why would Aodhan not... It hits him then, like a candle in his mind has suddenly been lit. If the battle goes on around the portal, the death will call the god monster. It makes sense, yet it doesn't at all.

When Patrick zones back into the discussion, the topic has shifted to Seamus and what to do with him. Clementine says she's not going to worry about it until after Alistair's dealt with, but Rozenn is adamant that he be executed. Since Clementine is fine with keeping him locked in Chourmondeley's dungeon, that's where it's decided he'll keep staying.

They go through a few more topics- battle strategy, what to do with Vaenyth, the pendant, etc.- before the meeting is finally adjourned. Outside, he runs into Leif, Tiffany, and Tove, who he exchanges pleasantries with before Signe takes them back home. Signe also takes Landon to the Castle of the Moon, where he'll hopefully do a good job fixing the problems Morwenna caused.