The Best Way to Avoid Your Troubles

Patrick wastes a lot of time doing absolutely nothing, and before he knows it, it's dinner time and everyone is gathered in the dining hall. He'll admit he's in quite the sour mood, which must be obvious because everyone's given him a wide berth all day.

Rozenn announces that she's approved Aithne's visit and that helps lift his spirits. Patrick goes through dinner with more enthusiasm than he's had all day. He chats with William idly before they head to their respective rooms. Patrick passes out on the bed instantaneously and wakes up with a goal in mind.

First thing, he goes to Lena's room, but no one answers when he knocks. Ewan, who's standing outside Clementine's chambers, says that Isla and Lena went out for a walk earlier. Partially annoyed, Patrick goes to William's room to wake him so they can go down to the beach together. William is excited to go, and that prospect is distracting. Once Patrick's boots actually hit the sand, most of the negativity is replaced with childish joy.

Patrick practically rips his belt off, tossing his sword to the side. He untangles the laces of his boots and flings his socks away as quickly as he can so he can go run down to the water's edge. Teeny tiny speckled birds dash away when he gets closer and William's laughter rings from back behind him.

The waves pull back and roll up, crashing forward to send water rushing up toward the shore. Patrick yelps as the water envelops his feet and soaks the bottom of his pants. He turns to William with the air of a puppy, grinning freely.

"It's so cold!" he exclaims.

William laughs. His returning smile is just as refreshing as the water. He bends down to roll up the bottom of his pants before the next wave that reaches up this far can get them. Patrick goes ahead and does the same, even though his pants already smell like seawater.

He wiggles his toes and sand gets stuck between them, the coarse grains scratching lightly at his skin. The wet sand is much easier to walk on and he goes out farther. The waves pull back and crash up, splashing all the way to his knees. The chill seeps into his bones.

"Let's go look for seashells," William suggests.

Patrick brightens. "Okay."

They walk along the water, far enough away that the waves only lap at their ankles every once and a while. Farther up the beach, numerous washed up objects lay scattered on the wet sand, wet surfaces gleaming in the sun. Patrick inspects a long, green plant and pokes it with his toes.

"What's that?" he questions.

"Kelp."

"Is that a thing people eat?"

"Sometimes. It's good in soups."

"What's it taste like?"

"Salty. I think it's more of a textural thing."

Patrick picks up the kelp, then lets it flop back onto the ground. He wipes his hand off on his pants and continues on.

"It smelled gross," he says.

William smiles. "I like the sea smell. It reminds me of home."

"You lived by the Glass Sea?"

Adaetram's western sea is the Glass Sea, which is the one that borders most of Wiceliwen. Patrick's never been there, but a few older men in Vertbank told stories about going there. The waters are said to be crystal clear and that every detail is easy to see close to shore. Lena always dreamed of going there, if they never made it to Linlea.

I always thought that Lena and I would get to see the ocean for the first time together, he thinks, saddened.

"I grew up there. I used to find shells on the beach and my mother would string them into necklaces." William pauses, frowning. "I don't remember where the one I took with me went. I suppose it's still at Verthollow."