Back in Wiceliwen

Time, as Clementine explains to Patrick once they exit a door right outside Leif's castle, is completely relative to where one is. Closer to the fae realm, time passes faster. Closer to the underworld, it passes slower. The Middle is somewhere, well, in the middle, relative to the two. So, when they leave Clementine's road, Patrick is shocked to be notified that a couple days have passed when it's only felt like a few hours.

This time of year, Wiceliwen is snowy, and several people out in town are shoveling snow out of the roads to make for easier travel. Wiceliwen doesn't snow as much as Vaenyth, so Patrick's been told. Apparently, a few bucketfuls of snow doesn't count as a lot when in some places, houses get completely blocked up.

Walking through the village up to the castle makes Patrick feel at home again. It's comforting just in the way it's distressing. Clementine gives him no time to ruminate and keeps a brisk pace as they stride toward the castle.

When the capital of Adaetram was in Wiceliwen, the king lived in this castle. Patrick always thought the two towers were separate buildings, but as it turns out, they're part of a much larger castle and connected in the middle by an enormous stone bridge. It certainly looks grand, and Patrick can imagine it being the home of a king.

Unlike the other castles Patrick's been to, the door on the outermost gate surrounding the inside village was open, though seemed prepared to be shut if need be. Archers are up on the watchtowers when he and Clementine approach the door, but there's no guards outside. Clementine raps her knuckles on the door, which is swiftly answered by a pretty young girl in a gauzy purple dress, unfit for the weather outside, but a gust of warm air upon opening the door indicates inside is much different.

"Good morning. Which one of Leif's pets are you?" Clementine greets breezily, sending the girl a vapid smile.

The girl's nose wrinkles. "Alyssum. Is there something you want?"

Clementine's smile twitches ever so slightly. "Go tell your pretty king that Lady Clementine is here to speak with him."

"As you wish."

Alyssum shuts the door and returns a couple minutes later and informs she will take them to Leif straight away. She leads them down the great hall and through the decorated arches that mark the entryway to the throne room. The whole path is marked by a royal purple rug with tasseled edges. Incense burns on ornamental wall holders, filling the space with a spicy scent.

When they enter the throne room, several men and women are hurrying out the door left of Leif's throne. The man who must be Leif himself, is adjusting the crown on his head, but his rich brown curls stay tossled, almost artfully. He himself, much like the throne room, is shrouded in decadence. His clothes are golden, much like the carpet at the foot of his throne.

An elegant tapestry of a gathering is behind him. Judging by the flowers and foods the people have in it, it's of a Midsummer festival. Above him, sparkling chandeliers lit with candles help brighten the room. Leif spared no expense, that much is clear.

"How professional," Clementine comments upon pausing at the foot of his throne.

"Lady Clementine of the Hoarfrost, how nice it is to see you here. I trust you've been doing well?"

Leif's smile is positively blinding and quite charming, although his posture indicates he wasn't prepared for guests, as he smooths down the collar of his doublet so it lays properly against his golden brown skin.

"A friend of mine was murdered recently," Clementine answers bluntly. "I have been in better moods, if it interests you so. Signe is still here, is she not?"