Out and About

The day Patrick and Clementine are set to leave, he's woken up early by Isla, who succinctly tells him that Clementine says to put on his nicest clothes and meet her out front in an hour, tops. With no room to do anything but agree, he tosses around the clothes in his bag until he finds something clean and presentable. He shoves Aodhan's book in the back of his pants and puts on his sword belt. Clementine didn't say to bring anything, so he leaves everything else where it is.

The first thing he does is go to Lena's door and knock, praying to whatever gods that could be listening that she'll answer. He hears the rustle of her sheets, so he knows she's still in bed, but she makes no sound to indicate she heard.

"Um, morning, Lena," he starts, cursing himself for sounding so nervous, as if he hasn't known her for the entirety of their lives. "I'm leaving soon. Lady Clementine is waiting for me. I thought I would come see you before I go."

Is she listening?

"I don't know how long we'll be gone, but I got the impression that it will be longer than a few days."

Patrick places his hand on the door.

"It'll be weird, not being able to see you. I'm going to miss you. Um- yeah. I just thought I should let you know."

He lingers outside Lena's door, not knowing whether to expect her to open the door or not. In the end, he waits a few minutes and he doesn't hear any footsteps or the click of the lock as it opens.

"All right. I'll see you later, Lena."

The sun is just rising, so there's enough light for Patrick to easily cross the castle and reach William's room. He has to knock a few times before William answers, clearly just woken up.

"Oh, are you leaving already?" William asks, voice quiet and thick with sleep.

"Aye, we're getting an early go of it, I guess."

"It's nice of you to come see me before you leave."

"I didn't just want to up and vanish," Patrick says sheepishly.

William smiles and, much to Patrick's surprise, reaches out and pulls him into a hug. Patrick returns it, comforted by the simplicity of the embrace.

"Farewell for now."

"Farewell for now," William echoes into his ear and pulls away.

"I'll try to be back as soon as possible. Take care of yourself, would you?"

"I will. I'll try to look after Lena, too."

He gives William a grateful smile and turns to leave.

"Paddy, Aodhan is probably out in the garden, if you want to see him. He usually is this time of day."

Patrick nods and waits to leave until William shuts the door. Patrick's never been out in the garden, but it's easy enough to find. Belaseth, at least this area, doesn't have good farmland, so the garden is sectioned off by an enchanted gate that helps the plants grow. Most of Chourmondeley's plant supply comes from here as the nearest town in a few days away.

The garden itself isn't a big area, so it's not a great task to find Aodhan kneeling among the herbs, filling a bucket with the aromatic plants. He sits back on his knees when he notices Patrick and greets him pleasantly.