Safeguard

After a few seconds, Patrick tentatively picks the ring up and slips it back onto his finger. He's heard of scrying before, but he didn't think he'd be able to do it- or when he was younger, that it actually existed. He spins the ring around on his finger, feeling the energy buzz and spread into his fingertips. It's an odd tingling feeling, but not entirely unpleasant.

Patrick rubs the stone, feeling the aura shiver as the little pinpoint pricks the tips of his finger wherever he drags it.

"Patrick?" he hears. "Is something the matter?"

Patrick jumps ever so slightly and turns his head around. Aodhan sits up on his side of the bed, closest to the window, and rubs his eyes.

"I woke up is all. Wide awake."

"Nightmare?" Aodhan questions, padding over to him and sitting down opposite him on the windowsill.

"Aye."

"What of?" Aodhan asks gently.

Patrick shrugs a little. "I keep having dreams where I'm in the middle of the ocean and there's vultures all around and I try to fight them off. Ivo's always there. He helps. Sometimes Lena's there too and they're eating her. You and Lena were there too this time."

"I can help with that." Aodhan smiles and Patrick sees something in his eyes that he can't quite read, visible even in the darkness. "We'll go to the market and look for some lavender oil. That will help you to sleep easier. White chestnut would work better, but I didn't see any chestnut trees. It's not as common since it's mainly used by healers. If that doesn't work I could do some incantations..."

"Thank you," Patrick says, smiling.

"Of course." Aodhan pats his cheek. "Now get to bed, aye? We're getting going in the morning and I don't want you so tired you'll fall off your horse."

Patrick nods, sliding off of the windowsill, waiting for Aodhan to follow suit. Patrick closes the shutters and locks them, shuffling back over to the bed.

"Aodhan?"

Aodhan hums pleasantly in response as he sits cross legged on the bed, pulling the covers over him.

"Have you ever scryed before?" Patrick asks, fiddling with the edges of the blankets.

Aodhan looks at him, expression a bit puzzled. "A long time ago. I haven't done any sort of divination in a good hundred years or so."

"I did," Patrick blurts, putting his hand out to show Aodhan the obsidian ring. "It kept hitting the light and I saw Alistair and Mother Bethan and some other boy with them."

"What were they saying?" Aodhan questions, eyebrows furrowed.

"Alistair was telling Mother Bethan that we're in Elinmylly and she basically said she's not going to do anything about it because it's his problem. Mother Bethan told the boy he won't come after us and then told him it's a waste of time. He turned into a bird," Patrick relays.

Aodhan frowns a little. "He did trace us. I was sure I didn't feel his familiar around."

"He's not coming after us."

"No." Aodhan smiles. "He's not and that means we should have smooth sailing."

"Can I look at anything?" Patrick asks, fiddling with the ring on his finger.

"Theoretically. You could look at anything: past, present, future, anyone, anything, anywhere; if you figure out how to."

"Why'd you stop?"