18. | uncle bob's pet duck

( in case you cant remember the cast lol )

Mackenzie Ziegler as Alexa Quinn
Johnny Orlando as Matthew Gilman
Brynn Rumfallo as Charlotte Ginsberg
Hayden Summerall as Dominick Harris
Tate McRae as Ellen O'Brien
Joey Birlem as Jackson Waters
Annie LeBlanc as Ms Johnston

• • •

JOHNNY ORLANDO groaned in frustration as he stumbled over his line, again. it was lunchtime, joey, mackenzie, and himself practising their scenes. johnny resisted the urge to punch someone in the face. instead, he took a deep breath and tried again. it wasn't his fault his mind was somwhere over the rainbow! or that mackenzie ziegler looked really, really, good in red.

"all you do is keep hurting alex!" he announced, putting in as much effort as possible. he ran his hand through his hair, mocking fusteration, tugging a bit too hard. johnny winced in pain and squeezed his eyes shut.

"so what?" joey birlem's annoying voice snapped him out of his thoughts. then johnny realized he was reading his lines. the temptation to throttle the brown-haired boy had never been so powerful.

"whatever you said can wait a second, oh my god i just realized you look like uncle bob's pet duck," johnny scoffed to joey, putting as much menace into his voice as he could. which wasn't hard, considering how much he despised the boy, vice versa.

"calm down, both of you!" mackenzie yelled, sounding eerily similar to hermione granger, "i'm so sorry jackson, but you weren't there for me when i needed you most. matthew was there whenever i was feeling down, not you," mackenzie finished.

"wow, i can't believe what i'm hearing, holy crap. he's probably just using you," jeered joey. ouch. it hit a bit too close to home, because that's exactly what mackenzie thought he was doing. he reassured himself that it was all acting, at least, that's what it was supposed to be.

"go away, waters," johnny seethed, mock shoving joey to the ground, ignoring his brain as it urged him to kick him in the face.

"just remember, quinn, you're worthless!" joey smirked, pulling himself up and hobbled off.

"is it true?" mackenzie swallowed, avoiding eye contact as she put as much passion as she could into her voice. "that i'm worthless? do you even like me, or am i just someone you turn to when you get bored?" mackenzie's voice was low, creating the effect that she was speaking quitely, when in reality she wasn't.

"no lex, that's not true. waters is just trying to get under your- our skin," johnny gestured towards mackenzie then to himself. "i'm not gonna give him the satisfaction." johnny shrugged, smirking.

mackenzie made an expression, a look of doubt, and sighed and nodded, forcing a smile on her face. "well, i've got to go. um, my mother said she uh, wanted me back to help her make dinner."

"lex, you said your mum was working late today," johnny frowned, with a concerned expression (at least, that's what he hoped it was) on his face.

"help my dad make dinner," mackenzie corrected uncomfortably. "but it doesn't matter, does it? i still need to get home. bye matthew, see you at school."

"lex..."

"bye, i said." mackenzie snapped, putting emphasis on the 'bye'. she stalked off, crossing her arms.

lily and mads offered to miss their break as well to direct, but johnny suspected it was something else. he snapped out of his thoughts, observing the two girls' expressions. lily looked satisfied and mads looked impressed.

"AND... SCENE!" lily screamed into a megaphone. mads winced, smacking it out of the ravenette's hands.

"well done you lot," mads flashed a brief smile, before lily could say anything. "should we practise one more time or you think you've got it?"

"i think we've got it," mackenzie said, a bit too fast and a bit too snappy. she snatched up her bag and hurried out the door and into the corridor. lily and mads exchanged glances of concern.

"i'll... go after her?" joey suggested uncertainly.

"it's fine. i don't mind missing the rest of break." johnny practically shoved joey out of the way and darted straight after mackenzie, his footsteps light and quick.

it was a terrible idea. but who cares? certainly not johnny.