Chapter 10

Hacking into Earth's databases wasn't much of a challenge. Reverse could accomplish it in his sleep. The only thing that stood between him, his parents' information and his birth certificate was the internet. It was about as slow as Adu-du's realization that he's a crap villain.

Fang glared at the screens. "WORK, YOU STUPID THING!"

Reverse calmly took a sip of his ice chocolate. He glanced at his boyfriend, who was throwing a rage from the slow internet. By human standards, it was averagely quick, but to them, it was like the WiFi was down to one bar.

Thirty seconds later, the results were narrowed down to two files. Fang beckoned Reverse to witness it.

Reverse opened the first file. It was a woman's profile, her passport picture mesmerizing and young. She didn't look like a mother, more like a model on the walkway. Her file read, Unmarried, 24-years-old.

He frowned. How can she be unmarried? Even if he can't recall much of his parents, he'd got enough details from Tok Aba to know who his son was. Unless he was the product of a one-night stand, which would make some sort of sense, but then again, it was too far-fetched, yet not impossible.

Fang clicked into the male's file. There was next to no context, with the photo of the male being 12-years-old. At the very end, it was stamped Deceased at age 13.

"Dead?" Fang choked out. "How? Your mom gave birth to you when she's 8? This makes no sense!"

"M – maybe we got the wrong results," Reverse reasoned, breath hitching. "There's billions of humans on Earth – we could have made a mistake."

Fang shook his head. "I added your DNA samples to the search systems. These are the only matching pair, your 'parents'."

"My dad's dead at 13-years-old!" Reverse repeated. "He can't have fucked my mom! It's a mistake!"

"Maybe he's still alive but the systems didn't update," Fang suggested worriedly. "Earth's not exactly the most competent planet."

Reverse growled in exasperation. Great. Not only he suffered from some idiotic childhood trauma-induced amnesia, his only lead to his past was dead. He wouldn't care for his parents and he was sure they didn't bother about his life or death since they didn't look for him when he's in space—but it's a vital part of him. The Boboiboy before he took up the name Reverse. The boy who had yet to meet the cruelty of realistic superheroes.

The orphanage didn't help, either. After filtering through a thousand possible locations, they officially surrendered and called it a day.

That night, Reverse couldn't sleep. He never slept much, but he hadn't rested well for weeks. Fang tried to stay awake to keep him company, but he fell asleep in the end anyway no matter what he did.

In the dark, he could hear someone shuffling in the dark. His instincts kicked in and he slammed into the control room, catching the suspect red-handed in swooping their stuff.

"'bout time you noticed," Shizuko muttered. "I was trying to get your attention, too. Anyway, you can give up searching this shit."

Reverse's eyes followed her pointing finger. It was directed at their screen with the files that he and Fang collected regarding his family. Her finger shot straight down and deleted their hard work in a mere second.

"Hey!" Reverse shoved her away and attempted to retain the missing files. But instead of her being pushed away, his hand went through air like she had dodged, but she didn't. "Huh?"

Shizuko grinned wickedly. She stuck her hand through Reverse's head. She was intangible.

"I came to thank you," she snarked. "Every weakling knows of Skepto's theory. Yes, it's disappearing because of you! Thank you!"