The Time of Growing by LeeannMor4

Grab a cup of tea and a cookie!
🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪
Now lean back and enjoy. Here comes my first review!

The Time of Growing by LeeannMor4

This story is accorded the honour of the first review. Not only does it hold a very special place in my reader's heart, but I do have to start with something after all, don't I?

⭐️ Warning!

This story will drag you in by its roots and branches until you are completely helpless against the overwhelming power of the trees. It will also drown you in moss and litter you with leaves. Enter at your own risk! If you're not afraid of death by tree, then come on in, the forest awaits you with its slightly twisted and possibly bone crunching embrace!

⭐️ Who will enjoy this story?

Lovers of trees, fans of Tolkien's lore, especially the Silmarillion, admirers of beautiful elves, seekers of gripping adventure, compelling fighting scenes and everyone who is looking for a well written story with an intriguing plot. And of course those who are searching for the dark and eerie, eager for the unexpected twist looming behind the next tree.

⭐️ Now where do I begin?

When Leeann approached me a while back with the question in mind whether to publish a story about trees she had been working on, I encouraged her to go ahead and put it out there in the open. I am forever glad that she has done so. This story has quickly become one of my favourite Tolkien fanfics, simply because it is so very different from others and has the ability to surprise me with every update.

⭐️ What makes this story special?

If I had to pick one thing, I would say it is the fact that the main protagonists are the trees. It gives this story a truly unique perspective, being able to see the world through their ancient eyes. The whole story is a brilliant take on the what-if scenario, assuming that Isildur's death happened in some awfully twisted way and the ring's fate was to be an altogether different one. Leeann isn't afraid to take an unconventional path, allowing the reader to delve into a world that has elements of alternate universe so cleverly interspersed with Tolkien's canon that everything appears like one whole new creation. It is so much more than a simple adventure story, despite its subtitle 'A Lord of the Rings Adventure', as it also includes elements of horror, magic and sprinkles a good amount of humour along the way, so things never turn too dark or gloomy. On top of the impeccable writing style, the included artworks as well as the quotes to accompany the story make this a delight to read.

⭐️ Favourite characters?

Yeah, I bet you all thought that I would say Thranduil, didn't you? And while I do love Leeann's take on the fabulous Elvenking, the characters I have grown most attached to, are actually a pair of Elven brothers: Celegon and Gilorn. They are not only really sweet, brave and loveable, but they also exhibit a good amount of typical elvish arrogance, making the interactions with their human counterparts all the more interesting. In general, canon characters as well as OCs, be they elves, humans or trees, are all nicely rounded and well captured and even those, whom we only meet for a few paragraphs, are so well brought to life that one nearly thinks of them as old friends.

⭐️ Favourite moments?

This might give away spoilers for the book, so only if you don't mind those, then read on. The chapter of Thranduil's possession - I don't know which other term to use, as Leeann has not revealed to us, what's really going on with the Elvenking -, is brilliantly creepy and so well written I literally got goosebumps! Here's a short excerpt from the Chapter "Ilmalotsë":

A whisper like death itself came brokenly from the gaping maw, though the disjointed mouth did not move to form the words, "Elvenking. I...see...you." The ghostly voice chilled Thranduil to his core. Green mist poured from the creature's luminous eye sockets as it drew him nearer and began to squeeze. Desperate for breath, the Elvenking struggled but no air could find its way past the blackness filling his lungs.

Another favourite paragraph of mine is from the chapter "Brotherhood", where the brothers Gilorn and Celegon witness a burial of Men. This really struck a chord with me and I daresay with many readers, as it shows so poignantly the different way death is perceived by Elves and Men.

They are edain, Gilorn. They are like the flames and we are like the stars. Their lives flare so brightly and burn so quickly before disappearing forever into the ashes of darkness, but their warmth still lingers after they are gone. And yet we remain, steady and eternal, ever vigilant in the veil of night. It is no wonder they choose to celebrate when nothing but death awaits them." Celegon leaned over to speak lowly in his brother's ear. "If they choose to celebrate a life lived instead of mourning a life lost, who are you to question it?

See, it's paragraphs like these that fill my heart with joy and make this story a pure gem, so much beauty and wisdom packed into a few lines.

⭐️ The bottom line?

Since this story is still ongoing and very much in progress, there is no telling where the path will take us readers, but rest assured that it will be a winding and crooked one, just like the gnarled and awe-inspiring trees that populate The Time of Growing.

⭐️ What do you readers think?

Before you all finish your tea and leave trails of cookie crumbs all over the place, I want to invite those of you, who have read this story, to share a few words about what makes it special for you. Why would you recommend it? Do you have any favourite moments, beloved characters? Or is there something else you wish to say about it? Don't be shy, but please keep in mind that this is a place to spread positivity. Therefore I kindly ask you to refrain from posting hateful comments, as I won't hesitate to feed them to the angry trees.

 Therefore I kindly ask you to refrain from posting hateful comments, as I won't hesitate to feed them to the angry trees

°°°°°°°°°°

Author's Notes: First off I want to say that I am completely blown away by your support and enthusiasm for this little project of mine! So many people voted, commented and added this review book to their reading lists! Thank you so much! I did not expect that at all :D! You're the best!

Stay tuned for the next review^^!

Cheers,
💫Flora💫

Images used here are to be found in Leeann's book!