The Curse of the Fairy Queen by jesswesleybooks

*offers you a basket of cookies and some tea*
🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪
Be careful though and don't let the fairy queen get a hold of it!

*offers you a basket of cookies and some tea*🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪Be careful though and don't let the fairy queen get a hold of it!

The Curse of the Fairy Queen by jesswesleybooks

This short story snuck into my library just recently and took my heart by storm, so I decided that this little gem deserves a space in my review book. If you are a fan of folktales and faerie-lore, then you must check out The Curse of the Fairy Queen.

⭐️

It's a story about getting lost and finding the unexpected, about fathers and their children, curses and the power of words, shady bargains and riddles in the dark. Words may be heard, yet not understood, and might mean something completely different in the end. It's one of those stories that stay with you long after you've finished reading them.

⭐️

Exquisite prose that flows like a poem yet also bears the weight of an ancient tale told by the fireside creates a unique and enchanting atmosphere. From the first sentence on, we find ourselves right beside the young child who's listening with rapt attention to their father's tale.

I nodded. My heart beat fast in my tiny chest, and I took his secret into my belly like sweet candy: I meant to hoard it. And I did - until today, as I'm telling it to you. (ch 1)

Jess captures the otherworldliness of the fairy queen in just a few concise paragraphs, making us witness the danger emanating from her alongside the twelve-year-old boy. She is wicked and cunning, beautiful but terrible.

Her wet teeth flashed like gemstones in the gathering dark. She held out her hand and hissed, 'Give it to me.' (ch 2)

⭐️

The twist at the end is both satisfying and unexpected as it leaves the reader craving for more. I won't reveal much else, not to spoil the plot, but please take a few minutes of your time to dive into this enthralling tale. Just make sure you don't stray from your path and do not, under any circumstances, accept dubious bargains offered to you by strange ladies.

And don't say I didn't warn you!

Spirit of the Night by Atkinson Grimshaw

🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪

Please do not leave any crumbs inside the faerie ring or else you'll find yourself with nasty crumbs in your bed for seven years!

°°°°°°°°°°

Author's Notes: I hope you've enjoyed this mini-review and you'll give the fairy queen a chance to cast her spell on you!

Stay tuned for the next review!

💫 Flora 💫