Stars of Varda by airwren

Grab a cup of tea and a cookie!
🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪
Now lean back and enjoy today's review!

Grab a cup of tea and a cookie!🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪☕️🍪Now lean back and enjoy today's review!

Stars of Varda by airwren

⭐️ Stars of Varda is a story which has been around for quite some time. It has been featured by Wattpad, has over 200k reads and it's probably a well known classic among Thranduil fans. So, why, you might ask yourself, do I include it here? This book is obviously not really in need of promotion. Well, the answer is simple: because it's wonderful, I love it and it's completed.

⭐️ Who will love this book?

If you're a hopeless romantic, who enjoys a good old fashioned love story á la Jane Austen, including a healthy dose of pining, a good amount of furtive glances and the occasional brushing of hands against each other, then this IS the right book for you!

⭐️ Still not sure about it?

I have to admit that at first I was hesitant about reading this story, because it's written in the first person POV and I am not a big fan of those, but all my concerns were quickly dispelled, because Erin just does such a lovely job with it. The writing is on point, crisp and quite straightforward, but with a charming amount of quaintness. It's effortless and very entertaining to read and being only a bit over 84k words, it's an ideal candidate to binge read on a lazy afternoon, cuddled up on the sofa with a steaming mug of hot chocolate.

⭐️ What is the best part of this book?

Yes, it's the characters that populate it!

The main character Rîneth is as loveable, smart and witty as she is refreshing in the sense that she's not yet another cardboard cut-out of a kick-ass heroine with ridiculous superpowers. As the realm's only scribe, she is quiet and bookish. In chapter 2 As Clear as Varda's Sky, during a conversation with Thranduil, who of course must counter with a sassy response, Rîneth says quite poignantly about herself:

"I am quick on my feet and can out-talk any situation."
"The spiders will cling to your every word."
"They will."

This isn't to be mistaken as her being a weak character, because she surely is far from being helpless at all. Strength comes in many colours, and physical strength is just one of them. Not every heroine has to impress with impeccable swordplay or arrows always finding their mark. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against fearless female warriors, but I do have the impression that the world of fantasy stories, be they fanfic or original, is slightly overpopulated with those sometimes poorly conceived leading ladies.

Rîneth is Thranduil's confidante, shares his passion for planning dinner parties, and while she is busy playing matchmaker for everyone around her, she is also completely oblivious to the stirrings of her own heart. But this being a warmhearted story, you may rest assured that there will be true love for her and the Elvenking waiting at the end.