Chapter 3

Emily checked her phone for the time as she raced down the sidewalk toward the library. She was five minutes late. She knew Angela wouldn't be mad at her, but she would get the third degree since Angela knew Emily was always punctual and was eager to get to work on the library again. She would have been on time, but she'd been drawn in by that handsome guy, Jimin. Rather than ordering a drink and going their separate ways like Emily thought they would do, she and Jimin had ended up visiting for a while. Emily learned that Jimin had just moved to town and was attending the same college as her. He was going to major in music or dance, whereas Emily was still undecided on what she wanted to major in. There had been something about him that felt safe and easy to open up to. She probably would have stayed longer visiting with Jimin if she hadn't happened to look at the clock on the wall of the coffee shop and seen what time it was. She had run out of there like a crazy person, tossing a thank you over her shoulder in her way out. He had looked a little startled at her sudden outburst. She was sure that he thought she was crazy now, but it couldn't be helped. Emily paused for a moment to catch her breath when she reached the outer door to the library. Taking a deep breath, Emily grasped the handle and yanked the door open before stepping inside.

The library looked so strange without books on the shelves. Emily moved through the library with its empty, skeletal stacks and made her way to the back of the room where Angela's office was. Emily knocked on the door and let herself in. Angela was sitting on the edge of her desk talking on the phone. Angela turned to look at Emily as she stepped into the office.

“Help me!” Angela mouthed, desperately.

“With what??” Emily whispered back.

Angela held up a finger, signaling Emily to wait and be quiet. Angela rifled around on her desk for pen and paper while she made noises of agreement with whoever she was on the phone with. Finally, Angela found what she was looking for and while holding her phone between her face and shoulder she scrawled out a message:

Ralph made a new concoction. Save me! Make dinner plans with me!!

Emily tried to stifle her chuckles at the pleading look on Angela's face.

Emily cleared her throat before raising her voice, “Angela!! I've missed you!! How about we get a bite to eat after we get done going through all of the books?

“I would love to, Emily! Do you mind, Ralph? Are you sure?? Oh, no no. You don't have to save any for me. I'm sure it'll be delicious. Love you. Bye bye.” Angela breathed a huge sigh of relief.

“Em, I owe you big time. That lunatic was making tofu pot pie, but instead of vegetables he was substituting fruit. Something about the perfect blend of health and tastiness.” Angela looked green just thinking about it.

Emily felt horrified at the very thought.

“That sounds worse than the dessert quiche,” emily replied, disgust evident on her face.

“I love that man, but I really think he's lost his ever loving mind.” Angela said, shaking her head.

“So,” Angela started. “I've been dying to know what it was that you were so tied up in that you showed up late. I know you love to be punctual and I know you're dying to get the library back in order, so I figure you found new music to obsess over.”

Emily sighed. Usually Angela would be correct. It didn't happen all that often, but the only times Emily had ever been late in the past were when she had gotten lost in the music she was listening to. There was something about music that Emily just couldn't resist. That wasn't to say she loved all kinds of music, but she was always willing to give any music a try. Music was therapeutic for her. It could take her out of whatever situation she was in and put her in a better mood, a better place. Reading did the same thing, but there was just something about music that was so soothing for Emily.

“Well, this time it wasn't music,” Emily said, a little nervous to proceed.

Angela cocked her eyebrow.

“Not music? The sky must be falling then.” She said with a good natured grin.

“No. This time,” Emily paused. “It was a guy.”

Surprise flashed across Angela's face.

“A guy?? Em that's awesome!” Angela considered for a second. “That is awesome right.”

Emily wrung her hands and fidgeted with the strap of her purse. Was it awesome? Maybe. She might not ever see the guy again, and it's not like he had asked her out on a date or anything. They had just talked. She could understand why Angela wasn't sure what to think about it. Emily hadn't shown any interest in guys in a while. The last guy she dated was a two-timing jerk and the last guy she had opened up to had been a liar that was just stringing her along until he found something better. She felt like she was a magnet for jerks and had pretty much closed herself off to dating, choosing to be safe and alone rather than opening herself up to being hurt. Why was she even worrying about dating and relationships though? It was one cup of coffee and a really nice conversation. If anything, Emily had just made a new friend.

“Definitely awesome,” Emily replied after some hesitation. “He was really nice. He paid for my drink after we crashed into each other on the sidewalk and we had a really nice conversation.”

“So, is he boyfriend material?” Angela inquired.

“Angela,” Emily groaned as she headed out towards the stacks of books piled against the wall that they needed to go through.  “It was a nice conversation with a nice guy. He probably wasn't even interested in me that way.”

Angela had followed her out to the books and they both began to go through them. The workers had already disposed of the books that were too damaged to consider using, now the two women needed to go through what was left and assess what they needed to replace or could keep.

“Besides,” Emily continued. “Even though he's going to school here I might not ever run into him again.”

“Emily,” Angela said as she sorted books. “You work in the library. Unless that boy intends to buy every book he needs for research projects odds are he's going to see you again.”

Angela fixed her with a look that very much said, “Duh.”

Emily looked away and sorted through books in silence for a while.

“Well, if he does come in and he does remember me, maybe I'll have made a new friend.” Emily said, not meeting Angela's eyes.

Angela snorted.

“If he remembers you,” she mumbled under her breath, rolling her eyes.

“Emily, I know Travis broke your heart when he cheated on you, and I know Ian left you feeling betrayed and used after you confessed to him and he told you he liked you but wasn't ready to date again and then turned around and started dating that other girl. But hon, that's on them. Not all guys are dogs, and I know you've never said it, but I know you and I know you feel like there must be something wrong with you to have such bad luck twice in a row, but there is not one single thing wrong with you. There's no way that boy won't remember you and I would guess that he did have some interest in you. Not every guy is going to crash into you and then offer to buy you a drink.”

Emily put down the books she had been checking over and really looked at Angela. Angela had the most serious look on her face that Emily had ever seen.

“Em, you are great. Are you quirky? Yes. Are you one of the biggest nerds I've ever met? Yes. But you. Are. Fabulous. Any guy would be lucky to date you and only a fool would throw away that chance.”

Without her realizing it, tears had started to run down Emily's face. She hadn't ever really voiced those feelings to Angela, but she should have known that astute Angela would have known anyway. It was so nice to hear someone tell her it wasn't because of her. Angela reached over and hugged her.

“Thank you,” Emily murmured thickly.

“You are so welcome. Every word was the truth. Now, wipe those tears and let's get to work. You and I have a dinner date to save me from that horrifying concoction of Ralph's!!”

Oh my goodness, guys!! Fifty reads!? I'm so happy!! Thank you so much to anyone who bothers to read my story. Thank you! I purple y'all!! 💜💜💜💜