Chapter 11

Jack had been living with Emily for a few days and she'd come to the conclusion that she must attract strangeness. Any time Emily tried to take a picture of Jack he ran for his life like his tail was on fire. He also always scampered out of her room when she was changing. Both things could have been brushed off as coincidences if they had only happened a couple of times, but they happened literally every time she was going to change or take a picture of him. For the most part, she just accepted it as Jack being a quirky cat, but there was part of her that was curious about why he was acting like that. Which is how she found herself walking to class reading an article on her phone about strange cat behaviors.

Emily heaved a sigh, having gleaned no information from the article. "Maybe I just need to change his cat food," she muttered to herself as she pulled open the door to the art building. She made her way down the corridor leading to her class, appreciating the cooler inside air. As she meandered down the hallway her thoughts wandered to the last week. She'd really enjoyed having Jack waiting for her when she got home, all of his cat weirdness aside, and she had been continuing to enjoy her lunch times with Jimin, but something just felt. . . Off. She hadn't gotten anymore weird calls, and there was no reason for her to think anything was amiss, but she was sure that she was being watched.

There were times that she would be walking home and she would feel a presence near her, but she would turn around and no one would be there. There would be an influx of patrons in the library and she would inexplicably feel a chill break out and an unsettling feeling would rise in her chest. Sometimes even at home she felt like someone was keeping an eye on her. So far, she had been able to brush these occurrences off as paranoia, so she hadn't mentioned it to Angela, because she was sure Angela would reiterate what she had already been telling herself.

Determined not to let paranoia pull her into anxiety, Emily tried to focus her thoughts on something else. She pulled her phone out and sent a message off to Jimin on a whim asking if he would want to come over for a movie night. She'd been wanting him to meet Jack, and she wanted to spend more time with him. There were moments when she felt like her crush wasn't one sided maybe, but other times Jimin seemed so aloof and closed off. He was always happy to talk to her about her life and her interests, but he was always loath to share anything substantial about himself. Everything she knew about him was very shallow. Still, we haven't known each other that long she thought to herself.

She was just about to open the door to her classroom when she heard someone behind her. "Emily," a breathless Jungkook shouted as he jogged to catch up to her. "Wait up!" Emily's hand slid off the door handle as she turned to face him. He shot her one of his bunny smiles and slowed down when he saw he had her attention. Once he reached her, he reached past her opening the door for them both.

"How have you been, Emily?" He asked her as they made their way to their seats toward the back of the room.

"Oh, you know, pretty good. I adopted a sweet kitty." She said, dropping down her seat. She began rifling through her bag for her notebook and a pencil. Jungkook dropped into the seat next to her. "Oh yeah?" He said, digging through his own bag. Emily drew a breath to tell him about Jack and how she found him when she felt her phone vibrating. She reached into her back pocket and pulled out her phone. When she saw the message on her notification screen she wiggled excitedly in her seat. Jungkook shot her a look and giggled at her silly behavior.

"What's got you so excited?" He asked, a toothy grin on his face. Emily blushed when she realized that she'd actually been dancing in her seat from excitement. Before she could answer Jungkook their professor came in and started their lesson. She had just enough time to shoot off a message to Jimin:

Awesome! I can't wait. See you tonight!

///

After class Jungkook was walking with Emily through the park. She was chatting at him happily about her new kitty and what a weirdo he was, running from her camera and leaving the room when she needed to change clothes. He stifled a snicker at her conundrum. She never had told him what had made her so excited earlier, but he was sure he could guess. He'd seen Park Jimin hanging around her on campus and around town and it seemed like they were getting closer. Banking on a hunch, he randomly interrupted her.

"Would you wanna go get a drink with me tonight?" He blurted out in the midst of her story about Jack dragging random clothes from her closet to her bed. Emily stopped in her tracks and looked up at him, blinking in what he assumed was surprise. He smiled at her, trying to pull her out of her surprise.

"Tonight?" She repeated. Jungkook nodded at her. A frown broke out on her face. "I'm sorry Jungkook, but I can't tonight. I already have plans. Maybe another night?"

"Sure," he replied. "Got a hot date?" He wiggled his eyebrows at her cheekily.

"No!' She sputtered. "Not a date. He's just coming over to watch a movie." Jungkook threw back his head and laughed.

"The lady doth protest too much," he said, a teasing glint in his eye. "So who is the lucky guy?" He nudged her shoulder as they walked. They had made it through the park and were nearing Emily's apartment.

"Just a friend," Emily squeaked. "Thanks for walking with me, Jungkook, but I think I can make it the rest of the way!" Emily hiked her backpack higher on her shoulder and jogged away from Jungkook. When she made it to her apartment she tidied up quickly, waiting for Jimin to arrive. After thirty or so minutes, there was a knock at the door. Emily hoisted herself up off the floor where she had been playing with Jack and crossed to the door. "Who is it?" She asked.

"It's me," Jimin said from the other side of the door. Emily opened up the door to reveal Jimin holding a bag with takeout containers in it. "I brought food!" He said, a happy grin spreading on his face, all but erasing his eyes. Emily stepped out of the way to let him in and shut the door behind them.

Across the street, Jungkook stepped out of the space between two apartments and stared up at Emily's building. It looks like I have something to report after all he thought, a grin breaking out on his face as he pulled out his phone and headed back toward Main Street, oblivious to the shadow lurking at the base of Emily's building.