Chapter 15

“What are you?” Emily asked before her eyes rolled back in her head and she slumped to the floor.

“Emily!” Jimin cried out, dashing to her side. Slipping an arm under her shoulder, he sat her up. Her head lolled back, hanging heavy in her unconscious state. Jimin knew that she had fainted thanks to the overwhelming circumstances she had just witnessed, but he couldn't help but feel worried about her. How much of the shock that she had just gone to was thanks to him?  How much of the horror in her eyes was because he’d revealed his identity? Shaking his head he tried to clear those thoughts from his mind. There was no use thinking about that now. He needed to come up with a plan of action. He was trying to figure out how he could carry her to the couch or her room, when he heard a groan near the island.

Taehyung rolled onto his stomach before standing up.  He brushed himself off and made his way over to Jimin, kneeling when he reached him.

“She okay?” he asked, concerning coloring his deep voice.  Jimin nodded and slid his other arm under her legs, stumbling around as he tried to stand.  Taehyung hopped up, and grabbed one of Jimin’s arms, both pulling him up and steadying him. “Thanks,” Jimin mumbled, making his way toward the couch.

“I think she’d be more comfortable on her bed,” Taehyung called after him. “Her bed is way more comfortable than the couch.”  It irked Jimin that Taehyung knew that, until he reminded himself that Taehyung had been posing as her cat, so of course he would know that.  “This way,” Tae gestured with a jerk of his head. Jimin followed his currently tawny haired friend down the hall to Emily’s bedroom. Taehyung pulled the covers back and Jimin laid her gently on the mattress before Taehyung gently covered her.

The two males stood over her, looking down at her with concern.  In the time Taehyung had lived as her cat, he’d gotten really attached to her.  She was kind and caring and he could tell that she was a genuinely good person. Jimin looked away from her first, tapping Taehyung on the shoulder, drawing his attention away from Emily.  Jimin nodded his head in the direction of the hallway, signaling Taehyung that they should leave the room. The taller man made his way out of the room, Jimin following behind. When he reached the door, he turned back and looked at her, even in her current state her brows were furrowed and her lips were turned down in a frown.  A frown crossed Jimin’s face before he turned and left the room.

Taehyung was nowhere to be seen so Jimin made his way down the darkened hallway and found his friend splayed out on the couch, waiting for him.  When Taehyung noticed Jimin enter the room, he patted one of the cushions next to him and pulled himself in more so that he wasn’t taking up so much room. Jimin made his way to the couch and flopped down, resting his head on the back of the couch.  He heaved a deep sigh and closed his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose between his fingers. This is such a mess he thought to himself.  Less than an hour ago he’d sat on this couch with Emily and hung out.  Now his identity as a genie had been compromised and he wasn’t sure how he could explain that to Mr. Yoo.  If it had only been Emily and the man that he had magicked from existence, it wouldn’t be a problem, but Taehyung had been there too.  He had witnessed what Jimin had done. Dread sat heavy in the pit of Jimin’s stomach. He would be wiped and forced to leave if Mr. Yoo ever found out that he had revealed himself to a mortal.  

“But I compromised myself, too,” Taehyung said, obviously having eavesdropped on Jimin’s thoughts.  Jimin opened his eyes and rolled his head so that he was facing Taehyung, who was staring at the wall. “I know I’m not really her cat and that now she’ll probably be terrified of me, but I feel like she’s my friend and I just couldn’t let that guy hurt her.”

Jimin nodded his head in understanding.  

“I hoped that you could sense him, too, since you were able to sense me.” Taehyung confessed.  “I was so relieved when you came in, even though I wasn’t sure what you were going to be able to do what with Yoo’s rules for us.” He glanced at his friend, who had once again closed his eyes and turned away.

Jimin wasn't sure why he had gone against the rules Mr. Yoo and Wishing Well Inc. had put in place for all of their genies. He just knew when he saw Emily terrified and in danger that he couldn't just sit idle and do nothing. Even calling 911 would have been worthless. By the time the cops would have gotten there who knows what might have happened if he and Taehyung both had avoided revealing themselves. Sure, they could have tried to fight him off and restrain him until help arrived, but even as disconnected from the mortal world as Jimin was he knew that man would receive a punishment less than what he deserved. Even though Jimin hated completely erasing a whole life, at least this way the threat was gone without any bloodshed.

I did the right thing he thought, pushing his thoughts into Taehyung's mind. I don't regret it. Even if she's scared of me, even if she never wants to see me again I'm glad I saved her. Taehyung looked over at his friend and nodded.

“Me too.” he answered. “What are we going to do though? If Mr. Yoo finds out, we will both be called back, and--”

“Have our memories wiped and have to be retrained. I know.” Jimin finished, pushing his hands through his shaggy black bangs. He leaned forward and braced his elbows on his legs, letting his head hang. He pulled in a deep breath of air. “Hopefully the magic from her wish will have wiped her memories, too since he was erased from existence and from the minds of everyone he's ever interacted with.”

“And if she still remembers?” Taehyung asked, fidgeting with the long sleeve of his oversized white button up. Jimin looked up at Taehyung and answered, “Then I guess we need a contingency plan.”

A/N if you love my new cover as much as I do, go check out xchasingdreamz cover shop!