Chapter 24

Emily walked home in a daze. Her best friend was a fairy and had never told her. Why would she tell me though? Emily shook her head, trying to remove the errant thought. Logically she knew that there wasn't a reason for Angela to have told her, but it had still been a shocking revelation. After finding out Jimin was more than human and Jack was, too, finding out that Angela wasn't even human and that there were more magical beings around her that she didn't even know about was a little more than she could bear in her current state.

Emily was so lost in thought she didn't hear someone calling after her. She made her way down the sidewalk, not paying attention to those around her. She couldn't help the scream that issued from her when she felt a strong grip on her arm. She whipped around, swinging her purse as she turned, counting on the books inside of it to disorient whoever it was long enough that she could escape. When her eyes latched on Jungkook it was too late to stop the arc of her purse swinging through the air. Her mouth formed a surprised "o" as her purse connected with the side of his head.

"I am so sorry!" Emily cried as Jungkook clutched the side of his head. Great, just great. Probably the only normal person in my life right now and I just clubbed him in the head with my books. Jungkook groaned, before straightening and staring at her with a cocked eyebrow.

"What do you have in that thing?" he asked, rubbing the side of his head. "Bricks"

"Books," Emily mumbled.

"Books," he deadpanned. Emily nodded.

"The hardback I'm currently reading, the paperback I'm going to read when I finish, and my tablet just in case I don't want to read either of those." She answered quickly. A blush broke out on her face when she realized how ridiculous she must sound. The blank look Jungkook was giving her did nothing to assuage her fears. "They're for emergencies."

"Emergencies?"

"Yes! Like, if I'm out in public and I don't know anyone or I feel awkward or bored, then I have a book to escape with." she answered, fixing her eyes on her shoes. How do I get myself out of this?? All I want to do is go home and be by myself for a while. Emily's thoughts strayed to the "cat" waiting for her when she got home. She stifled a groan and resisted the urge to cry. Too much. Too much. This is too much for me.

"Emily." Jungkook said, the concern in his voice shaking her out of her swirling thoughts. She looked up at him, expecting to see silent judgement in his eyes. Her chest clenched painfully when all she saw was concern in his eyes. "Are you okay?"

Emily looked back at him not sure how to respond. She didn't like lying and telling him she was fine would be a lie. She couldn't very well tell him that the man she was interested in, her cat, and her best friend were all magical beings and she was currently reeling from that revelation. As Emily considered how to answer him, she realized she didn't know that much about him either, and for all she knew he could be one of the other beings that was following her. Emily's face hardened at the realization.

"I'm fine," she answered in a clipped tone. She hoisted her purse back onto her shoulder, ignoring his shocked look as she pivoted away from him. "Sorry again about your face."

Leaving a baffled Jungkook in her wake, Emily hurried to her apartment. Her mind swirled with ideas on how to handle the Jack situation. Should she confront him? Should she act like she didn't know about him? What if he's dangerous, the thought skittered through her mind, halting her steps. She had never considered the possibility that Jack might be dangerous before. Maybe I should turn him out she thought as anxiety clawed at her chest.

Having stressed herself out, Emily walked around her apartment complex a couple more times. Whatever she decided to do in regards to Jack, she needed to do it when she was clear headed and calm, or as clear headed and calm as she could be. When she reached the bottom of the stairs leading up to her apartment, Emily had decided she would throw Jack out. She wouldn't be caught unawares and put herself in danger.

He's never tried to hurt you a small voice seemed to whisper. He has had every opportunity to hurt you, but he's looked out for you and protected you. Emily paused as she considered that. It was true, if Jack wanted to hurt her, he could have done it a thousand times over. Even when she'd fallen and cracked her head on the floor, he had helped her.

Her resolve to throw him out wavered as she continued up the steps. No matter how creepy was that she'd been living with a cat man, he had only been good to her. Maybe letting him stay wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

By the time Emily reached the front door she had decided what she was going to do. Unlocking the door, she made her way inside. She dropped her purse by the door and made her way deeper into her apartment. Not finding Jack in any of his regular spots, Emily made her way to her bedroom. Even though she had decided to trust him, apprehension roiled in her belly.

When she stepped into her room, it took a concentrated effort not to let her jaw drop. There, sitting on the edge of her bed, was the man from her memories. Hearing her steps falter to a stop, the man looked up at her with big, worried eyes.

"Jimin said he told you." the man said in a surprisingly deep voice. "I guess I should formally introduce myself."

He stood and Emily gaped at his height as he towered over her. He wiped his palms on his blue jeans before extending a hand to her. She looked up at him hesitantly before grasping his outstretched hand. "Hi, Emily. My name is Taehyung."

Thanks for all of your understanding and patience!!  I purple y'all!