Chapter 9

A week had passed without incident. The longer Emily went without any creepy happenings the more at ease she felt. She had been spending more time with Jimin. He usually came by the library on the days he had classes and would ask if she wanted to get lunch with him. She was always happy to oblige and found herself looking forward to seeing him. Emily found herself opening up to him more than she did most people. It wasn't that she was necessarily distrustful of people. She just typically felt hesitant to share herself with others. Unfortunately, Jimin still hadn't opened up about himself very much to her. Usually, if the other person in a budding friendship or relationship wasn't opening up, it made Emily gunshy and she would quit opening up to that person, but she wasn't doing that with Jimin.

Emily was making her way to class after lunch with Jimin and found herself pondering why Jimin was so closed off and why that didn't bother her more. Brows furrowed in thought, eyes cast downward, Emily never even noticed that she was about to run into someone until large, warm hands grasped her biceps, bringing her up short. Gasping she tore her eyes from the ground and fixed them on the person in front of her. She had to look up to get a good look at him. He was taller than her by at least six inches. He had dark hair and sparkling, happy eyes set in a handsome face.

"Whoa!" the man said, chuckling almost nervously. "Are you alright?" Emily jerkily nodded her head. Get a grip! Jimin is taking up too much of your headspace! She thought in frustration. The man released her and took a small step back.

"I am so sorry about that." she answered. "I was distracted and wasn't paying attention to where I was going." She made a conscious effort to stop talking. She could tell that was going to word vomit from embarrassment if she didn't shut up. The man chuckled good naturedly and smiled at her sweetly. Somehow when he smiled it made him look like a bunny.

"No harm, no foul." he said, before extending his hand to her. "My name is Jungkook, by the way."

"Emily," she replied with a smile, grasping his hand and giving it a firm shake. "Are you new here? I haven't seen you around before."

"Yep! I just transferred here and honestly I'm a little lost." Jungkook admitted bashfully.

"Where do you need to get to?" Emily inquired.

"Uh," he started. He pulled a folded up piece of paper from his pocket and scanned the information on the page. He turned it towards her and pointed to one line on the page. "I'm supposed to be in Intro to Art with Miss Shane, but I have no idea where the building for that class is."

"Well, today is your lucky day, Jungkook," she said, smiling up at him. "I'm in that class, too, so I'll take you to it."

"Great!" he answered her enthusiastically. "Thank you so much!"

The two made their way to class conversing easily, but Emily's mind was only half on the conversation. The rest of her mind was uneasy; she felt like someone was watching her. Emily craned her neck around as they were walking, trying to see if she could spot anyone that looked suspect, but saw no one. Everyone was either familiar or absorbed in other things. She was still peering around when she felt a hand on her arm. Whipping her head around she looked up at Jungkook who was staring at her expectantly. I've got to start paying better attention she thought irritably.

"I'm sorry, what?" Emily asked.

"I was asking if you were alright," Jungkook replied. "You seem really preoccupied." Emily adjusted her backpack, trying to think of what to tell him. She didn't want to tell him that she felt like she was being watched, but she also didn't want to come off as rude and disinterested.