Chapter 6

Emily was having a lot of fun with Jimin. She was really glad she had decided to go with him and give him a tour. He seemed genuinely interested in what she had to say, and he didn't seem like a creep. She could tell he didn't really like to talk about himself, but she was hoping that if she was open about herself maybe he would feel more comfortable talking about himself. Emily was looking forward to repaying the favor of him buying her drink last time. She'd been standing in line for a couple minutes already when the older lady in front of her turned around and started up a conversation with her.

"Well, Miss Emily, as I live and breathe," Miss Elgenie said, happily. "I haven't seen you in a while!"

"Nope," Emily replied. "Not since that last time you were in the library."

Miss Elgenie cringed. "Don't remind me!! Not only did y'all serve up heinous coffee, but then that, I believe it was some sort of macaroni, I acquired from Angela almost sent me to an early grave, I tell ya!"

Emily choked back her laughter, trying to disguise it at a cough. She must not have been too obvious, because Miss Elgenie carried on without missing a beat.

"I don't know if Angela made that atrocious concoction herself, or if someone gave it to her, but if it was a gift I think someone must be tryin' to kill her!"

Emily couldn't wait to tell Angela about Miss Elgenie's assessment of Ralph's macaroni.

Still trying to stifle a laugh, she responded, "That's terrible! I'll have to be sure and warn Angela."

Before Miss Elgenie could reply, it was her turn to order. She turned away from Emily and placed her order. Emily dug through her bag looking for her cellphone and her wallet. She found her phone easily enough, but as she continued to dig for her wallet her fingers brushed cool, hard plastic.

"No," she whispered feeling stricken.

She wrapped her fingers around the offending item and pulled it up to the top of her purse. Frustration welled in her chest when she confirmed what it was. The CD. It had been well over a week since she'd ditched it in the trashcan at the park. She was sure by now she was truly rid of it. She'd been glad that it hadn't randomly been popping up all over the place, but now here it was again. Anxiety was starting to settle in Emily's chest, when the barista was finally able to get her attention and snap her out of her haze. She ordered drinks for Jimin and herself before moving off to the side to wait.

How is this even possible Emily thought. CDs don't just magically appear wherever they want. Emily was finally past trying to come up with a logical explanation for all of this. There wasn't one. Short of the CD being possessed or her being crazy there just was no logical explanation. I'm just going to have to try and return the CD, she thought, desperate for once in her life to go to Tracks to get rid of a CD rather than find one. But what explanation can I give for wanting to return it? They aren't likely to believe anything I tell them that's happened. And Jimin is here. Emily looked over her shoulder at Jimin and sighed. He was so nice and she felt so comfortable with him. How on Earth was she going to return this CD without ditching him or making him think she was nuts? I could always lie she thought, before promptly driving that thought from her mind. She hated lying, she always had and she wasn't about to start over something as stupid as a CD.

"Emily," a barista called out, signalling that her drinks were ready.

Emily grabbed both cups and made her way to where Jimin was sitting by the window. As she neared the table, she tried to make herself look calm, but she could tell the minute Jimin made eye contact with her as she sat down that she had failed miserably.