Chapter 30

Jimin hated when he was transported with someone else. He always felt like the bottom dropped out of his stomach when it happened; especially when he was taken by surprise like he'd been with Hoseok. Jimin had barely had time to catch his breath from their arrival when Hoseok yanked him along, still dragging him by his wrist.

"Put up a glamour," Hoseok ordered, not bothering to look behind him. Jimin bit back a groan and did as he was told. Life was easier when you went along with what Hoseok wanted. It wasn't so much that Hoseok was a bad guy, but being a Trickster put him at a level of ornery-ness that exhausting.

Hoseok released Jimin's arm when the reached the corner of a building on the main street of town. Peeking around the corner, Hoseok giggled fiendishly. Turning to Jimin, he smiled an almost wicked smile. What have you gotten me into? Jimin asked him, grudgingly opening his mind to the trickster.

You'll see came Hoseok's reply. He gestured for Jimin to peek around the corner, too. At first, all Jimin could see was three figures making their way down the sidewalk; two tall men and one shorter figure, a girl from the looks of it. Sudden clarity hit Jimin; that was Emily. Hoseok was wanting to throw her life into chaos.

Everything in Jimin wanted him to nope his way right out of this situation, but if he flaked on Hoseok it would only draw more attention to him, and in doing so, Emily would be under more scrutiny. What's the plan? He thought grudgingly.

Hoseok grinned wolfishly. I think Taehyung likes that girl; there's no other reason for them to be hanging around together. I was thinking maybe we could do something to embarrass him? And maybe "accidentally" push her and that other guy together.

Jimin gaped at Hoseok. Usually Hoseok's tricks were just mischievous; lost car keys, assignments literally eaten by dogs, but this was different. Hoseok had never been outright mean, and he had certainly never targeted another agent. Something was wrong with this whole situation, but Jimin couldn't put his finger on what it was. Jimin chanced a glance at Hoseok out of his periphery, trying to suss out what was different. Visually, everything about the man in front of him was 100% Hoseok, but internally he was just off.

Maybe this is a test Jimin found himself thinking. What was the correct response though? Was he supposed to aid Hoseok in doing something to a fellow agent, or was he supposed to try and steer him away from that idea?

Before he could really consider what he was doing, his better nature won out. Are you sure you want to mess with Taehyung? Couldn't you get in trouble for that? Hoseok scoffed aloud at Jimin's assertion that he could get in trouble. Not when the orders came from Mr. Yoo Hoseok answered.

Jimin felt a chill run through him. Tricksters were rarely given actual assignments, often given free reign to come and go as they pleased, leaving chaos in their wake. The fact that Hoseok had been ordered to do something to Taehyung was vexing. Either Jimin wasn't doing a good job protecting his friend, or Mr. Yoo was finally starting to take real notice of Taehyung and his different approach to his job.

Swallowing thickly, Jimin trained his eyes on his friend, wishing he could warn the blissfully unaware man that he had trouble on his tail. Any warning Jimin tried to get to Taehyung now would only give rise to more suspicion and would get them both in trouble.

"Let's do it," Jimin whispered. Hoseok only clapped him on the back before rounding the corner and shrouding himself in invisibility.

What do I need to do? He asked.

Just follow my lead.

Jimin shrouded himself in invisibility as well and made to follow Hoseok, unsure why he needed to use a glamour if they were just going to be invisible. As they crept up on the unsuspecting trio, guilt and fear ate at Jimin's stomach. He wracked his brain, trying to figure out how he or Taehyung had slipped up. There was nothing. The only thing that had happened was Emily remembering what had happened, but Jimin had smoothed that over with Yoongi. Unless I wasn't convincing enough, he thought bitterly.

Jimin was so lost in thought that he didn't notice when Hoseok stopped. He slammed into Hoseok's back, nearly toppling the man. He glanced up at his companion and found him staring at something in front of him. Jimin looked where Hoseok's gaze was locked, and froze. That jerk from earlier, that jerk with Emily was alone while the other two went on without him. That he was alone wasn't the problem. The fact that he was staring right at them was the problem.

He can't see us, right? Jimin asked Hoseok.

Of course not!

The pair stood still, waiting for the man to look away or move on. After a few tense moments, the man rolled his eyes.

"It's pointless to keep standing there, pretending I can't see you," he said.

Jimin's jaw dropped.

"This is impossible," Hoseok murmured. Jimin stared at Hoseok, if possible more shocked than before. Nothing ever really seemed to surprise him. Maybe it was because as a trickster he thought out all the ways something could turn out, but whatever it was, Hoseok was never phased. Hoseok snapped out of his stupor the moment the other man started moving forward.

"How can you see us?" Hoseok barked. "You obviously aren't like us."

The laugh that came out of the taller man, who was still advancing on them was so at odds with his appearance. His laughter sounded childlike, but he looked more grown up than most of the men Jimin had met at the college. Something about him was intimidating. At the campus earlier, he had seemed relatively unassuming; now though, something about him was making Jimin break out in a cold sweat.

Hoseok, I think we need to run.

Hoseok completely ignored Jimin, and rather than running started advancing toward the man. Everything in Jimin was screaming at him to get out of there, but he couldn't just leave Hoseok alone. Jimin could feel him trying, and repeatedly failing to use his magic, his brow furrowing more with every attempt. What Hoseok said was true, Emily's friend wasn't like them, but every time Hoseok's magic failed, the man's grin grew. Whoever he was, whatever he was, he could sense magic without being magical himself.

For one fleeting moment, Jimin wondered if it could be Veil, the organization that had been working against Wishing Well for years. That was impossible though; Mr. Yoo told them that Veil had been stomped out and wouldn't be a problem anymore. Mr. Yoo may be hard to work for, but he had no reason to lie. Did he? Jimin was shaken from his train of thought when he heard a grunt.

Emily's friend had Hoseok pushed against the wall, arm wrenched behind his back. Hoseok was struggling against the man to no avail. He may have been lithe and able to maneuver out of most things, but he was no match for the other man's strength. Jimin made to step forward, when the man cut his eyes to him with a threatening glare.

"I have a message for your boss," He said as Hoseok continued to struggle against him. "Tell him Veil is coming." Hoseok stopped struggling at that. Veil was bad news and was against everything Wishing Well stood for. With both men in a stupor, Emily's friend released Hoseok and jogged after his friends.

After a few steps, he stopped and looked back at them, "If there's ever a moment that you question your boss, find me. I'd be happy to help you take him down."

Turning again, the man jogged away from them and didn't look back again. Jimin made his way to Hoseok and grabbed the man's arm, transporting them back to his living room. As soon as they arrived he released Hoseok's arm. Jimin made his way to the couch and flopped down, not even bothering to remove his shoes. Hoseok gaped at him, clearly shocked by the turn of events.

No one was more shocked than Jimin when Hoseok finally spoke, "We can't tell Mr. Yoo."

I wonder why Hoseok doesn't want to tell Mr. Yoo. . .