Chapter 32

Emily bit back a groan as she made her way to the circ desk. She knew that coming back to work meant running into Angela, but Emily hadn't considered that Angela would be at the circ desk waiting for her.  Hearing her approach, Angela stood and turned to face her, wringing her hands in front of her.

"I'm glad to have you back," Angela said softly.  "Did you have fun on your break?"

"Glad to be back," Emily answered brusquely, completely ignoring Angela's question.  Emily knew she was being a jerk.  She knew that she should give Angela a chance to explain herself, but memories of past hurts kept plaguing her mind.  In Emily's experience a liar was always a liar.  As silly as it was she was prescribing to fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Emily moved around Angela, all but ignoring her presence as she put her belongings away and got ready to open the library.  She could almost feel the anxiety rolling off of Angela.  The nervous energy making Emily uncomfortable and anxious herself.

"If you don't mind," Emily said, lowering herself into her chair and waking up her computer. "I need to get to work."

"Oh! Yes.  Of course." Angela exclaimed.  Angela started walking away, pausing as if she had something else to say, before continuing on her way.  Sighing, Emily started her computer and brought up the check out program.  While things were booting up, Emily unlocked the doors to the library. 

Before Emily even had a chance to make it back to the circ desk she heard the door bang open.  Whipping around to see the source of the loud noise, Emily saw Taehyung making his way toward her, other patrons coming in behind him.  A small smile split Emily's face as she continued on her way to the desk, shaking her head at Taehyung's antics. With his long stride, Taehyung reached the desk at the same time Emily sat down.  Emily quirked an eyebrow at him as he smiled down at her.

"I wanted to see how your first day was going!" Taehyung told her, eyes sparkling.

"Well," Emily began, "My shift literally just started and Angela was waiting for me when I got here."

Taehyung sucked in a breath, "That's rough.  Have you talked to her?"

"No." Emily answered flatly.

"I really think you should give her a chance to explain," Taehyung told her, looking around the library. 

Emily groaned, "I know.  I just feel so. . . ." She flailed her hands around, incapable of formulating the words to explain how she felt. Taehyung reached out and grabbed one of her hands.

"I know, but Angela has been your friend for a long time.  It hurts that she kept something from you, but I think you need to consider why she did it."  Taehyung said, patting her hand.  "You forgave me after hearing my explanation and you haven't known me half as long as you've known Angela."

Emily's head fell back, a groan slipping past her lips. "I know!! I know, I know.  Look.  I'll try.  I promise I will."

"Good!" Taehyung exclaimed, releasing her hand.  "I'll see you later tonight!  I have to go now!"

Emily watched him leave, tripping over his feet and bumbling into things as he went.  This guy she thought fondly. Emily's train of thought was suddenly interrupted when someone approached the desk.

"How can you stand him?" one of the patrons muttered as she placed her returns on the counter.  Emily shot her a confused look.

"Who?" Emily asked, looking around for the source of the girl's annoyance. 

"Him,"  the girl spat, jerking her thumb over her shoulder.  Emily looked past the disgruntled girl in front of her and saw Taehyung making his way toward the exit.  When he reached the doors, he turned and waved at her before leaving.