Chapter Forty-One: Morgause

The paranoia that had flooded Camelot with the Witchfinder's presence had finally left the community weeks after Aredian's death. It was fair to say that somethings in Camelot were tension filled to say the least - Merlyn was often around when Gaius and the king had to speak and one could always feel the tension between the two men. Merlyn had questioned the tension, going directly to Gaius for answers only to be informed that Gaius and Uther had had a fight or sorts. Merlyn completely understood Gaius' viewpoint of being disappointed with the king for seeing sorcerers where there weren't any. His fear of magic was growing every day and his rationality was escaping Uther. Even though this was very much the case, nothing could be done about it, life had to move on. And it had done.

Arthur had been training more noblemen to become Knights of Camelot. He had put the men through their paces and five such men had managed Arthur's challenge to become a Knight - they had lasted a minute against him; they were to protect the cloth they had tied to their waist whilst Arthur tried to steal it. With the Final Test passed the five men had been given the royal red cloaks of the Knights of Camelot and were wearing their new chain mail and armour underneath it. Each of the five men were knelt down before the king in the throne room, a small crowd of nobles, peasants and everyone in between were stood watching the proceedings.

Merlyn was proud of the men whom she had helped. When Arthur was teaching the men, she would often give the knights she believed in tips and tricks of the trades that they would (sometimes reluctantly) put into use. The men quickly learnt that Merlyn was not your ordinary servant and that she was more help than many first believed. Each of these men had all received help off Merlyn and Arthur, and proven their valour. They deserved the Knighthood they were receiving.

"...Arise Sir Vidor, Knight of Camelot. Arise Sir Caridoc, Knight of Camelot" Uther finished, gently placing the broad side of his ceremonial sword onto each of the knight's shoulders as he spoke. With the last man knighted, all five of the men got to their feet before their king. Each of them was clearly quite proud, showing it in their own way with Vidor even sending Merlyn an excited quick smile before his face returned to its stoic position. "You have been accorded a great honour." And here came the speech. Merlyn and the knights watched as Uther paced in front of them taking his turn to stand before each of them. "But with that honour comes great responsibility. From this day forth, you are sworn to live by the Knights' Code. You have pledged to conduct yourselves with nobility, honour, and respect. Your word is your sacred bond." Merlyn had to give the Knights of Camelot their due, they did carry these lessons to heart. "You will find no one who better embodies these values than my son, Arthur." Uther turned and placed his hand upon Arthur's shoulders. The prince was stood just behind the king in his own armour and cloak, the picture of the perfect knight. Merlyn couldn't help but smile at him. "Follow his example, and you will prove yourselves worthy of your title."

The ceremony was finished and a round of applause ran across the room. They were finally knights. As the applause died down another sound replaced it. A sound that caused every head to turn towards the doors of the Throne room. Metal upon metal, sword against sword...

Merlyn slowly began to bend down and lift up the bottom of her skirt allowing her to free the sai that rested in her boots, meanwhile, Arthur walked in between the new knights and stood in front of them watching the doors. It didn't take long for the doors to open and an unknown knight, who wore no sigil, walked in. The crowd parted and plastered themselves against the walls of the Throne Room to ensure they were far from the action.

The knight was small in stature but to get to the throne room they had to have killed or at least immobilised many guards meaning they had skill. Merlyn positioned herself subtly in a place where she could intercept the knight if necessary. Even though Arthur stood in front of the new knights he did not unsheathe his sword as they had done. He stood and waited for the knight to react. After all the unknown knight had simply walked into the room, their sword on their waist.