Chapter Fifty-Three: A Raging King

Leon was going to kill him ... after figuring out what the hell was wrong with him.

Once Merlyn had left, Leon had immediately gone to find Arthur, only to find the prince outside of Vivian's chamber with a plate of chicken of all things. He was thoroughly confused as he watched the ordeal, but Vivian did not want Arthur's advances despite his sudden infatuation with the woman. Leon had hoped he wouldn't see Arthur's affections for the woman but they were as clear as day which was strange and worrying. Arthur hardly ever showed his emotions and the fact he had was what had started Leon's concern. After Vivian's final refusal, Leon had taken Arthur back to the prince's chambers on the verge of shouting at him for being an abysmal only to then learn that Arthur had no other love!

Leon had gently suggested that Arthur return to his "old love" whom Leon had strongly pointed out Arthur didn't deserve, however, the prince was utterly confused by those words. He even had said he had no old love. It made no sense. Leon had grown up with Arthur, he knew the prince's every move and when Arthur had been moved to say that he had no old love Leon knew that Arthur truly believed that. But it was preposterous. Arthur was many things but he wasn't cruel and claiming to have never loved a woman whom he had admitted to loving was not his style at all. Something wasn't right.

Once Leon had left the sulking prince who was supposedly heartbroken over Vivian's rejection, he had been trying to piece everything together but there had been one glaring issue - something was missing, some vital information. The thoughts had kept him awake all night and well into the morning. There was only one person who could tell him more.

Quickly, Leon headed towards Arthur's chambers where he knew Merlyn would be going. The knight paced in front of the prince's doors, his cloak flowing out behind him - with the kings in Camelot, all knights had been demanded to wear their cloaks constantly. As Leon was stroking his beard in thought he heard the soft footfalls of a servant. Snapping around, Leon spotted Merlyn walking towards him with her eyes downcast, one look at her servant told Leon everything he needed to know. She was heartbroken.

"Merlyn" Leon called out softly. At the call of her name, Merlyn stopped walking and lifted her head, she smiled in greeting though the smile was clearly not real. Leon could only hope his words would help her. "Merlyn, something is wrong with Arthur." These words did not make Merlyn any happier. She really didn't want to think about the prince in that moment.

"Leon I really don't-" Merlyn started but was swiftly interrupted by Leon.

"No, something is really wrong." What he had seen was bad and confusing. It was nothing like Arthur had ever been like before and Leon had grown up with the man. Merlyn however just sighed at his words.

"Leon, I appreciate what you are trying to do but I have work to get to" Merlyn said before she began to walk around him. She didn't want to talk about this.

"Merlyn" Leon said as he grabbed her arm gently, halting her actions. He couldn't let her go without hearing him out. "He does not remember loving you and Arthur may be a bastard at times but he wouldn't forget that."

"Apparently he can" she replied with a frown as she lifted her head and looked towards him.

"Is there any chance he's ..." Leon asked before he scanned the empty corridor to ensure no one was listening. He continued in a whisper, his lips moving nearer to Merlyn's ear. "enchanted or something like that?" Merlyn could only laugh at the question.

"Leon" Merlyn started giving Leon a sad smile. "Not every problem is because of magic. This is a simple mortal case of a man falling in love and realising ... rejecting ... his past mistake." A tear ran down Merlyn's cheek as her words passed her lips. It was heartbreakingly simple. With a sigh, Merlyn pushed herself away from Leon and dried her tear with her fingertips before moving towards her master's chamber. She had a job to do.