Chapter Forty-Six: The Truth Will Haunt You

Arthur was emotionally exhausted but so confused. Merlyn had told him Morgause was lying and that what she said wasn't true but a part of Arthur just couldn't believe it. Everything had finally made sense once Arthur had discovered the truth about his birth, his father's sudden hatred towards magic, his mother's death, his sway towards magic. A part of him just kept questioning Merlyn's sudden change in tune - why hadn't she said this on their way back to Camelot? Why hadn't she announced Morguase's trick the moment she entered the chambers, why did she try to stop him before resorting to telling him Morgause's plan? There was something wrong and Arthur knew it but he had no one to talk to as no one in the kingdom would tell him the truth for fear of Uther ... except for one. Arthur wanted to know the truth so he headed for the one being that he trusted completely, the one being who knew more than anyone else he had ever met and the one being who did not fear Uther.

His feet hit against the cool stone as he made his way deeper into the castle. The path was not well worn but Arthur had used it many times in his lifetime. Creeping deeper into the castle, Arthur made his way down the cold steps, a burning torch in his hand. Eventually, he walked out into the enormous cavern and as usual the dragon was nowhere in sight.

"Kilgharrah?" Arthur called our into the empty space, he listened carefully for any sound of the dragon's movements. It didn't take long for Arthur to hear the sounds of crumbling stone, as the dragon's claws craved through the stone. Seconds later the Great Dragon rose from his hiding spot and landed perfectly upon his rock that was the centre of his cavern.

"Young Pendragon what can I do for you?" Kilgharrah asked with a smile on his scaly face. Arthur shuffled on his feet; he wasn't sure how to ask the questions he wanted answered. Kilgharrah narrowed his eyes and leant forward at Arthur's hesitation. Eventually, Arthur lifted his gaze to Kilgharrah's. The dragon tilted his head showing Arthur his concern for the prince which surprised him but also got him to speak.

"Is there magic that can bring back the dead? Allow you to speak to them?" It was the easiest question to ask first and the most pressing for Arthur. He wanted to know if the woman he had spoken to and hugged was indeed his mother. He prayed for a memory he could hang onto but Merlyn had said that she wasn't real however Arthur couldn't tell if she only said that to stop him from hurting his father.

"Yes. Why do you ask?" Kilgharrah asked, listening intently to the prince.

"I met Morgause." The moment the name passed Arthur's lips the dragon sat up straight, a dangerous flint appearing in his eyes.

"Morgause? She is not to be trusted" Kilgharrah immediately said. His sudden reaction caused Arthur to feel like an utter fool. Kilgharrah heard her name and knew the danger she presented immediately.

"So, what she showed me was of her creation then" Arthur mumbled in disappointment. However, the words were caught by Kilgharrah.

"What she showed you?" he repeated with suspicious eyes. He feared what Morgause had done.

"She granted me a wish ... she allowed me to see my mother for a short time, or I thought it was my mother" Arthur admitted. Having met his mother was a memory he didn't want to forget but upon learning it wasn't real, it hurt so much. He had so wanted her to be real. And Kilgharrah could see that.

"Arásae mid min miclan mihte þín suna to helpe ...?" Kilgharrah started, his voice portraying the ancient words beautifully. However, beyond his soulful voice, Arthur recognised the words, well sounds to him, that he had heard Morgause speak.

"That's what she said" Arthur announced. He had no idea what the words meant but if Kilgharrah knew them then he had to know.

"I am sorry to say, my dear prince, that that spell is no illusion. What you saw will have been your mother" Kilgharrah confirmed with a careful gaze upon the prince. Arthur sighed at Kilgharrah's confession.