Chapter Sixty: Morgana's Treachery

The cold caverns surrounded Merlyn once again as she stood before the Great Dragon who moved to face her upon his rock. His large claws scrapping against the stone that encased him. One look at Kilgharrah told Merlyn that something was wrong, he wouldn't be helping without a promise first.

"I need your help ... again" Merlyn started with a grimace. She seemed to say that a lot to the poor creature.

"I'm sure you do" Kilgharrah sighed, his great head shaking in disappointment.

"Kilgharrah?" Merlyn questioned. She took a cautious step forward as concern moved across her features.

"You said you would set me free and yet here I sit still shackled" Kilgharrah pointed out with his eyes narrowed and his back arched in an irritated and defensive move. He seemed ready for a fight. However, Merlyn did not want to fight. She understood the dragon's frustration but the fact of the matter was that she did not know how to free him.

"I know that Kilgharrah, unfortunately I don't know how to set you free" Merlyn admitted with a sigh. Merlyn had made her way down to his chains that rested at the bottom of the cavern and she had studied the strong metal. The massive interlinked metal loops were strong and horribly familiar. They were large Iron Chains - those which were imbued with magic that weakened magic users. Though ones of these size needed stronger magic than Merlyn had. "I've been in similar chains and I know how debilitating they are and that they require stronger magic than I have to break. I have researched every book I owe and they have nothing ... I could ask Anna but ... you're the genius when it comes to magic so how about you tell me how to free you and I'll do it."

Kilgharrah sighed, his body deflating at the knowledge that Merlyn had no idea on how to save him. The image broke Merlyn's heart. In that moment, Merlyn felt worse than ever, she couldn't save anyone apparently.

"I'm working on it, Kilgharrah, and I won't stop until I find a way to free you" Merlyn said, placing her hand over her heart to emphasise her point. Kilgharrah locked eyes with Merlyn and studied her before he lowered his head and shook it slowly. After a moment of silent, Kilgharrah lifted his head.

"What is it you wish to know?" he asked, seemingly accepting his grim state at that moment. Merlyn went to say more but realised there was no point. She couldn't mask the fact that he was stuck in a cavern for gods knows how long.

"What is the Crystal of Neahtid?" Merlyn finally asked, freeing him had to be an issue for another time.

"To those who know how to use it, the crystal holds great knowledge" Kilgharrah explained as he once more shifted, momentarily opening his wings before he folded them back against his body.

"What kind of knowledge?"

"The knowledge of what is, what has been and what is yet to come" Kilgharrah replied making Merlyn immediately think back to Gaius' words.

"Time itself ..." she repeated. Merlyn couldn't believe such an object actually existed; to hold a Crystal that could show you time is unbelievable. Now Merlyn understood why the sorcerers wanted it. "The Crystal has been stolen."

"By whom?" Kilgharrah asked with grave interest. The Crystal falling into enemy hands was not good for anyone involved.

"The Lady Morgana" Merlyn admitted with a grimace, she knew what was coming. Or she thought she did, the reaction she got certainly wasn't it. Kilgharrah immediately began laughing. His deep voice echoed through the cavern though Merlyn did not understand why Kilgharrah was laughing - if the Crystal was so dangerous and important why was someone stealing it not more of an issue to the dragon who did not like Morgana.