Chapter Fifty: The Bastet

Merlyn moved as fast as she was able, her actions strange to those around her though necessary. Merlyn had a bag on her back with blankets, food and water inside. She couldn't grab horses but that was just the way it was. Merlyn was running as fast as she could. She stormed into the alcove yelling the siblings names only to discover they were nowhere in sight. It was at that moment that the warning bells of the castle began to ring loudly. Things had just gone from bad to worse.

Racing back out of the tunnels Merlyn began scanning the areas around her looking for the siblings. Those warning bells could only be ringing because Freya had been spotted which meant they were still within the castle's grounds. Feeling the weight of the bag weighing her down, Merlyn tore it off her back and hid it in an alleyway before she darted back to searching for her friends. She couldn't quite believe how she was unable to find Percival, a giant of a man among the silent and deserted streets of the Lower Town.

As Merlyn went to go around the back of a house, she slammed right into a breathing wall. Merlyn's gaze shot up at the feeling of cloth beneath her hands. It was Percival!

"What the hell is going on?" Merlyn snapped as the man stared wide-eyed at Merlyn. He knew he was in trouble but he was also grateful for Merlyn's arrival.

"Lyn, I need to find Freya. She ran when I was sleeping and I think the guards have found her" Percival revealed informing Merlyn that it wasn't his plan to run but hers. Freya had properly believed she was protecting everyone by running away from them but she didn't know Camelot and had clearly gotten lost and trapped. But Merlyn had a bone to pick with Percival first.

"She's cursed, she turns into a Bastet at midnight" Merlyn said in retaliation, disappointment and anger in her eyes. Percival sighed at the words; he hadn't wanted Merlyn to find out from other people. Percival had convinced Freya to tell Merlyn but then Halig had arrived in the tunnels and Freya had freaked out. "Percival you should have told me."

"I had to protect her" said Percival. His first thought and loyalty had to be to his sister. "And I was trying to protect you!" There was that as well, the less Merlyn knew the safer she was.

"There she is! Stop!"

The guard's words suddenly had Percival and Merlyn darting from behind the house and following the noise of clambering boots and swords. The issue was they couldn't be seen with Freya as it would cause too many issues. They got as close as they dared but stayed hidden behind someone's house and watched on with great worry as Freya found herself trapped, sitting at a dead end whilst dozens of guards came from all directions. One look at her face told everyone she was scared.

"Please let me go" Freya begged with tears running down her cheeks. From their position, Merlyn could see Arthur make his way to the front of the knights. Even though she was far from his side, Merlyn could see the grimace that appeared on the prince's face - he could see his enemy's fear and youth. There were times that Arthur hated his duty.

"She's terrified" Percival muttered before suddenly shifting as he went to get onto his feet and off his knees. However, the movement had Merlyn grabbing his muscular upper arm and pulling him back down to the ground.

"You'll only get yourself in trouble" Merlyn whispered harshly back with warning clear in her voice. As much as she wanted to help Freya it was two against at least twenty, they didn't stand a chance.

"No one escapes from me" a crude and arrogant man said. Merlyn's head snapped from Percival's pain-ridden face to Halig who was stalking towards Freya with Iron Chains (Uther had given the bounty hunter as Uther was the only owner of the only set of Iron Chains) in his hands. She really hated that bounty hunter. Merlyn wanted to help Freya desperately but as she studied the scene before her, she knew there was little she could do.