9| Deepest Fears, Darkest Wishes and Worst Nightmares

━━━━ •✼• ━━━━

━━━━ •✼• ━━━━

Alarice and Caspian stood beside each other at the forecastle deck as they face the crew of the Dawn Treader.

"No matter what happens here, every soul who stands before me and Alarice has earned their place on the crew of the Dawn Treader."

Alarice smiled at everyone. "Together we have traveled far. Together we have faced adversity. Together we can do it again." she said and looked at Lucy, who smiled softly at her.

"So now is not the time to fall to fear's temptations. Be strong. Never give in." Caspian said and looked at Edmund, who smiled proudly at him. "Our world. Our Narnian lives, depend on it. Think of the lost souls we're here to save."

"Think of Aslan." Alarice said and looked at Caspian, who looked back at her. "Think of Narnia!"

Alarice and Caspian walked down the poop deck as the crew cheered.

"For Narnia!"

"For Narnia!"

"For Narnia!"

Alarice and Caspian glanced around and smiled as they looked at each other.

"We will face our fears together, and succeed!"

•••

The Dawn Treader entered the heavy mists surrounding the island. Alarice and Caspian watched from the poop deck as green mists appeared towards the ship and the Narnians.

"I can't see a thing. This fog's too thick." Drinian told Alarice and Caspian.

Alarice and Caspian looked down as green mists surrounded them. Alarice closed her eyes, scared of what the mist may take form to tempt her. She felt Caspian shift beside her and grabbed her hand. She opened her eyes and looked at Caspian.

"You'll be alright." Caspian assured her.

Alarice smiled. "We all will."

Everyone flinched when they heard shouting and looked at the side of the boat.

"Keep away! Keep away!"

"Who's there?" Edmund asked.

"We do not fear you." Caspian said loudly.

"Nor I you."

Alarice looked down at Edmund. "Ed!" she called out and Edmund looked up at her. "Your torch."