Returning Home

Chapter 12: Returning Home

Pearl has been sitting on the rock for about 12 minutes now. She glances over to the opening, hoping to see her co-worker coming out but there was no luck.

Vian started whining slightly as he looking for his guardian. The baby inkling looked at the rapper and raised his tentacle-arms, gesturing to be picked up.

Pearl looked at the child and smiled, as she picked him up. Vian smiled for a moment before frowning.

He brought his hand (tentacle-hand?) up and smacked Pearl's forehead.

Pearl sighed. "Yeah I know... Should've stayed with her instead of listenin'..."

What is taking her so long.... It's been about 15 minutes so far.

"P-P-P" Vian tried to say something. Pearl went wide-eyed at this.

"Whatcha trying to say bud?" She asked.

Vian went silent as he puffed out his cheeks.  Pearl softly chuckled at the expression. "Man...guess it ain't that time yet.

The small idol looked out at the view of Inkopolis, sighing as she runs her hand through the child's hair. "Ya know... I'm starting to see you as one of my own."

"We should tots get some adoption paperwork for ya, that way we can make it official. But first I gotta talk to Mar 'bout that."

Puzzled, Vian just looks at her as she continues to speak. His attention was directed towards slight movement that came from behind a bush.

Who emerged from the bush was his other guardian, who was covered in cuts and bruises.

He claps his hands in excitement as she walks closer.

Pearl looks at the child in confusion. "What's got ya fired up bud?"

"I think it's because he's just happy to see me!"

Pearl swirled around to find Marina smiling down at her. "Marina! You're back!"

Pearl placed Vian down and pulled the DJ in a tight embrace. Then she pulled back to look over her injuries.

"You good?! They got ya pretty good..." Pearl took Marina's face in her hands, inspecting her wounds even closer.

Marina's cheeks turn teal at the skin contact. "I-I'm fine Pearlie. It doesn't hurt as bad as they look."

Pearl didn't say anything as she brushes her thumb gently across Marina's cheeks in deep thought.

"P-Pearl?"

"I hate seeing you like this ya know... covered in cuts and bruises. It reminds me of that time..." The small idol said, frowning.

That time when I was completely useless and you had to stand up for me...

Marina's silverish-teal eyes softened up as she realizes what Pearl was talking about. "Hey, I told you already... It wasn't your fault. All that's in the past now. 'This' is all just baby wounds!" Marina reassured, gesturing to her face.

The DJ placed her brown hands on top of her friend's pale ones and made full eye contact with the rapper. "Besides, I'm still here right?"

"Y-Yeah..." Pearl replied, breaking eye contact, blushing.

Marina giggled and planted a soft kiss on her forehead, before pulling away to pick up Vian.

Vian had occupied himself by playing with Pearl's crown, which Marina is just realizing that Pearl wasn't wearing it.

"Hey Vian! Ready to go home?!" Marina asked the child, as she gently took the crown away from the baby, who just giggled.

Pearl's blush turned even more red as she watches the Octoling readjusted her crown back on her head. Then she went over to place Vian in his carrier.

"Hey Pearlie, mind if you carry my bag for me, while I carry Vian?" Marina asked the inkling

Mentally slapping herself, she grabs the bag. "N-Nah I dont."

"Do you know the way back to the square from here?"

"Y-Yeah, it's just up ahead." Pearl replied.

"Alright then let's get going! I gotta clean these wounds as quick as possible. Marina exclaimed, walking up ahead with Vian, trying to talk to Marina in baby language.

Pearl brought a hand up to her forehead and touched the spot where Marina's soft plum lips had made contact. She can still feel the warmth that was left from her.

"Hey Pearlie! You coming?"

"O-Of course! I'm right behind ya!"
---------------------------------------------------------

Promise you guys I would do a lot more updates more often so here they come!

I'm getting the hang of adding more detail into my writing but I still have a long ways to go!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter and I'll see ya in a couple of days :D

Also with the tentacle arm thing. It's been made canon that baby inklings and Octos are just ink and tentacles at first, before taking the form of a humanoid. Just wanna clear that up.