Back to Work

Chapter 16: Back to Work

"Welcome back ladies! Good to see you're doing okay!" Gary said as they walk into the studio.

"It's good to be back. Sorry again for our absents..." Marina smiled sheepishly.

"It's all right." Gary waved off. "Now we should probably catch you up on what's going on."

Pearl looked out the window as her partner and boss caught up on the latest news. Vian squirmed around in her lap, trying to get free.

I should really hit up mom and dad sometime... It's been a while. I think they would love to meet Marina.

Pearl looks at the dark skinned idol as she tries to listen to their conversation. Her mind wonders elsewhere as she studies her partner.

The rapper watched as Marina's tentacles would slowly sway in different directions. She always wondered what made them move. Did they have a mind of their own?

Her golden eyes wonder to the toned arms of the Octoling. They both make trips to the gym a few times a week. Even before they had started going, Marina was pretty much in great shape but she insisted on going for unknown reasons.

Probably a routine back in the forces.... Pearl thought.

Going up to Marina's face is where Pearl let her eyes wonder the longest. Cod she could just look at that face for hours. Marina has gotta be the most beautiful cephalod she's ever seen.

Subconsciously, Pearl brushes a thumb over her own beauty mark as she looks at her partners. It's kinda coincidence that she and Marina shared the same mark, just on the opposite side of their faces.

Pearl's favorite part about Marina was her eyes. The pink-teal pupils that always seem to light up when she talks about the squid sisters or the latest technology. They seem to light up the brightest whenever Pearl comes into her line of vision.

Marina looks at the Inkling, one eyebrow raised in question as Pearl continues to stare at her. "Pearlie?"

Pearl doesn't respond. Marina begins to worry. " Inkopolis to Pearl!" She reaches over to tab Pearl's pale cheek.

The skin contact shook Pearl out her thoughts and she slightly jumped, causing Vian to giggle in her lap. "Uh? Wha?"

"Welcome back to reality!" Marina joked, bringing her hand back. "You were staring at me for a good 3 minutes."

"I-I was? Sorry bout that." Pearl's cheeks turned pink.

"It's all good. Anyway did you hear? There's a Splatfest!"

"For eel? Didn't we just get through with one? Heroes vs Villians right?" Pearl replied.

Marina nodded. "Yeah but remember they said there was gonna be a second one."

"Right, I remember now. What's the theme this time?"

"We don't know yet. But we're gonna find out in...." Marina looks at the clocks and shots up to get to her turntables. "Less than 30 seconds!"

"Oh shi- uh" Pearl paused, remembering their deal. "What about Vian?"

"Uhh place him in your lap during the announcements. We don't have time!" Marina said, making sure her headphones were in place.

Pearl repositioned herself to where she and Vian were in a more comfortable posture in her chair.

"And we're live in 3...2...1"

"Y'all know what time it is!" Pearl said.

"It's Off The Hook, coming at you LIVE from Inkopolis Square."

Pearl could hear the inklings cheering.

Guess they missed us

"We're back y'all" Pearl cheered, throwing one fist in the air.

"Sorry for our disappearance. We had some issues that needed to be taken care of." Marina briefly explained.

"Just know that We missed y'all and today we'll be giving autographs, taking pictures and even answer some of your questions." Pearl read off the teleprompter, forcing a smile.

Glancing over at Marina, Pearl saw she had the same smile and her eyebrow gave a little twitch.

"Oh! And we have a special guest today! This little guys name is Vian!" Pearl held up the baby. Vian giggled and waved.

"Isn't he adorable!?" Marina exclaimed. "Anyway let's get on with the news."

"Yo Marina, Tell everyone the good news before we announce the stages!"

Marina fixes her headphones that managed to slip out of place. "Good news? Uh what was- Is there a Splatfest?!"

"Haha dang right we do! We got one coming up quick!" Pearl exclaimed.

"Splatfest always get my ink pumping! I have to get ready!"

Pearl looks at the tall idol. "What's the Splatfest theme this time?"

"Uhh I'm too nervous to looks...you do it!"

"Fine... The Splatfest theme is....uh?" Pearl raised her eyebrows in surprise.

The screen changed, showing off one gold side and one silver side.

"How would you spend your holiday?" Pearl asked. "With your Fam?"

Or your friends?" Marina finished, having the same reaction.

Pearl stared at Marina, as she watched instead of listening to what she was saying.

Family huh...

Flashback: 1 Year ago

"Merry Octi-Squidmas Pearlie!" Marina burst through the doorway of Pearl's room.

Startled, Pearl sprung from her desk, quickly covering up her unfinished gift for the Octoling. Pearl spins around to glare at her partner.

"Jeez Reena, you scared the ink right out of me!" She said, playfully tapping the tall idol's dark cheek.

"Sorry! I'm just very excited!" Marina exclaimed. Then she grabbed the rapper's arm. "Come on! Let's go open our gifts!"

"Ay, Ok ok! Don't pull so hard!" Pearl laughed.

Marina pulled them towards their giant living room. The pair were staying at Pearl's mansion, while Marina's apartment was being repaired after one of Pearl's attempt on trying to cook breakfast.

Their Squidmas tree was not too big but not too small and held pink and teal ornaments. To top it off, Pearl had picked out the most expensive star off of Splatmazon, much to Marina's dismay.

Underneath the tree was a lot of gifts, decorated in many colors. Marina hurried over to one of their loveseats and plopped down. She smiled widely at the rapper. "Come on Pearlie!"

Pearl grinned and made her way over to the Octoling. "Jeez Rina, youre such  a child"  She joked.

The Octoling's eyes glowed with laughter as she giggled. "I'm just so excited!"

Pearl couldn't blame her. This was Marina's 2nd Squidmas on the surface after all. "Alright, here's the deal. We open the gifts we got for each other last aight?"

"Ok sounds good! Now let's get to opening.
---------------------------------------------------------
Part 2 coming soon!

Was suppose to update this last night but I forgotten to hit publish XD