Chapter 1: Out the Box

Kara was a servant for the gods. She spent her days cleaning, having to make sure the chaos of the gods daily activities got picked up. She sometimes helped in the kitchen, helping the cooks plate their dishes and take them out. For a year she had been working in the large castle. It was a definite understatement to say that she had caught the eye of the gods who lived there.

Kara was tidying up the library, usually a good, quiet place to go when she needed space, or a book to read. When she needed to get away from the loud activities of the gods, she usually escaped here to lose herself in the stories.

Her fingers traced over the spines of the books, finally landing on a favorite of hers. She plucked it from the shelf and tucked it into the waist band of her of her worn dress. Out of all the books in the library, she always stuck with that one.

The shelves extended on every wall, holding thousands of books. Kara wondered how anyone could manage to read all of them.

The only person that was an everyday visitor of the library, that's who.

Loki had been walking between the shelves, fingers tracing over the books as he searched for a certain spell book. Kara noticed him as she was standing on a ladder nearby, dusting off the higher shelves. The god never seized to catch her off guard.

In order to not bother him, she tried to quickly get down from the ladder, just for her dress to get caught on a nail and rip up the seem. She cursed the cheap fabric as it had her caught. She gave it a harsh tug, just for her balance to be thrown off and for her to fall off of the ladder. A scream left her mouth as she tumbled down, a good scrap of her skirt being ripped from her clothes.

She half expected to fall to her demise, of course being over dramatic. Yet the floor never met her body, instead she was caught by the trickster himself. He looked at her with humorous eyes, trying to hold back a laugh as he set her down.

"Lose balance, did we?" He hummed, stepping back to give her some room. He looked to her torn dress, then back to her face, or what he could see of it.

She had your head turned down as to not be disrespectful. "Yes, my lord, my apologies," Kara muttered, trying to keep from fidgeting.

The god of mischief stalked closer and tipped her chin up with a long finger. He looked over her features as she tried to resist looking at him.

"Look at me," he finally spoke up, his hand now cupping her jaw. Her eyes locked with his in a second. He got a good look of her face and a smirk appeared on his lips. She felt something being plucked from her hip from behind and she turned around to see the same god. She frowned and turned around but he was not longer there. When she turned back around, he was right in her face.

"What's this?" He hummed, holding the book that she had tried to sneak in his left hand. He gave it a slight shake for emphasis.

"Oh-oh, that's nothing, just some story, my lord," she tried to play it off, obviously failing as the god of mischief shook his head, a smile taking over his features.

"Nothing? Then why have it tucked in your dress? Did you wish to take it?" He raised a brow at her. She opened her mouth to speak.

"No, my lo-," she started but Loki cut her off by raising a finger. She immediately closed her mouth, looking down.

"If it's nothing, I guess you'll have no problem parting with it, I need to find more space for more intelligent literature anyway," he hummed, carelessly motioning with the book.

"My lord,-" She tried, stopping when he looked her in the eyes. His gaze was intense. None of the other gods ever would look someone of your stature in the eyes, they were too good for that. Kara looked down, biting her lip before looking back at him to continue to defend her case.