"What's Your Name?"

So the fairytale goes something like this... and I'll have you know it took everything in me not to write it about two dudes.

The Boy With The World

Once upon a time there was a beautiful princess who stayed in her small cold room, pulling the petals off of flowers she picked in the bright open field right outside her window. She wished on every petal she picked hoping that that one special boy would be able to see through her lonely smile and accept her love.

Now the prince with the kind eyes and the gentle smile felt the weight of the world on his shoulders, leading him to his knees in the bright open field. He could barely handle the pain of his loneliness anymore. One single fleck of water fell from his eye and landed on the dry ground. The boy didn't know it then but the tear sank into the greedy ground, one single white rose springing up in its place. The boy got up and pushed the world back onto his shoulders as he walked away.

A storm broke out over the field. The girl watched as her hopes were slowly crushed by the powerful gusts. As her spirit began to sink, a small light in the middle of the field caught her eye.

The girl clutched a blanket around her and ran from her room, heading for the field. When she got there she ducked her head from the forceful gusts. The light came into sight, a single white rose as the source, directing the stormy winds around it. The girl stroked the pure petals and calmed it down, the storm slowly died, light broke through the clouds. The girl picked the rose, swearing to herself that if the boy didn't come, he never would. She took the flower back to her room and prepared to wait. One tear sat on the petals, a reflection of the boy's kind eyes staring back at her.

Now the boy with the kind eyes felt a tugging on his heart, like a puppeteer pulling on strings. He let his heart drag him to the field with no idea of his hearts intentions. He kneeled in the bright field and saw a small light on the wet ground. The boy sat among the grass, puzzled for a bit.

He was about to get up when he felt a soft tapping on his shoulder. He turned around slowly and came face to face with a beautiful girl. She held out a single white rose, he held out his hands to take it. As soon as their fingers touched, the rose melted, the petals floating away with the gentle wind. The tugging on his heart stopped and her hopes came true. He smiled his gentle smile at her and she blushed.

That story was very gay of me. I sighed and closed my laptop.

***

The night was filled with rain and wind; wind that sounded like a body was hitting our window every few minutes. Tay was back from volleyball and apparently she talked to Alex. She wouldn't tell me what happened and I didn't press her.

After I finished Hannah's fairytale I went on to homework, psychology has been staring me in the face all day and I think it's time to appease it.

I looked down at my book filled with pictures of neurons and synapses. What is this shit? Psychology is about mental illness and therapy, well that's what I thought when I signed up for the class. Fuck outta here.

I heard my phone vibrate against my desk, making an annoying rattling sound that brought me out of my mind rant.

Alex: Can we talk?

Me: Sure

Alex: 10 min in study

I closed my phone, shut my psychology book, picked up my backpack and told Tay I was going to meet our friend Andy to help him with English. She nodded, not really caring about anything other than her music.

I closed the door slowly; making sure it didn't slam because that noise always bothered me. Agression always scares me that's why I can't stand to have anyone mad at me.

When I opened the door to the study room Alex was already there. He locked the door behind me and started to spill the story:

"I just don't love you anymore." Those words blew a cannon sized hole through Alex's chest and sent his brain into a haze, the kind of haze you feel after waking from a long sleep. Don't love me anymore? He thought, trying to wrap his mind around that phrase, trying to make sense of it. How can't she love me anymore when I love her so much?

"Alex you're wonderful you really are it's just that, for right now, I have to go out and do my thing. I have to be able to not be chained down; you can even ask Kellin, I've never had a serious boyfriend before you. I just need a break and time to think and maybe me kissing that guy last night was a sign that I'm just not ready and that you're too mature... and too good for me."

Tay hugged him and just left, just walked out like that, like it didn't matter and that he'd get over it. She doesn't want to be with me? All of a sudden that whole summer he spent in the hospital and therapy came flooding back. I don't need her. I do need her. His brain argued with him, making him even dizzier then he was before. He stayed in his room alone for a little bit but then came over here; came to me for help. How am I going to help?

***

We ended up just watching movies in the study; one funny movie after another until we both had headaches and needed food. Alex laughed so hard that he cried and I was just so giddy that he was laughing that I didn't even stop to think about anything else. It was almost like our whole conversation before had just melted away, slowly leaked into the cracks of this run down residence hall and I was pretty grateful for that.

I went to dinner with Tay and Alex went with Jack. We obviously didn't sit at the same table or even near each other and Tay of course snuck looks in his directions.

After dinner I went to the library and Tay went to the room. I want to get so rich that I could actually make a library in my house. Like one where you need the latters to get to the top of the shelves. That would be so awesome.

The British Authors paper that I was trying to tackle was wrestling me back, spinning my mind full of sonnets, iambic pentameter, and Blake's Works of Innocence. English papers are a blessing and a torture. For one they can actually be fun to write but you fuck yourself over if you mess up grammar and trust me when I say that I am the worst at grammar and I mean seriously the worst. I don't know how I'm still in my major.

I pushed my chair back against the wall, stretching until my back popped against the wood. I always picked the farthest corner of the top level mainly because that was where all the books on Shakespeare were located. As I pondered over a Hamlet soliloquy and how I really wanted a Shakespeare tattoo a crash came from a few stacks in front of me, sending a vibration through the floor.

I got up quickly and followed the noise of mumbled cursing. A guy around my height was hunched over, his long brown hair was hanging in his face, shielding his eyes from view. He tried gathering all the books that fell so I helped, getting down on the floor. The boy looked over at me. He was handsome and I mean like damn. He looked so familiar, like I've seen him in my mind before. His tan skin and smile were truly breathtaking. His eyes really got me though. They were a dark set of brown with splashes of lighter chestnut.

He gave me a smile as we carried the books back to the shelf, setting them nicely in order.

"I'm sorry if I disturbed you, I'm just a pretty clumsy person." I gave him a weak smile, totally understanding. There should be a club for us clumsy people, weekly meetings about balance.

"I am too so no worries and you didn't disturb me at all, I was just procrastinating anyway." The boy pulled a stress ball out of his jacket, squeezing it softly and throwing it up and down; it was made to look like the world in squishy ball form.

"So what's your name?" He casually asked.

"Kellin Quinn, you?"

"Vic Fuentes."

A/N *ship sets sail*