Chapter five

Riley's POV

Flashback continuing (let's make friends)

The rest of my first week passed without much excitement. Granted, the first few classes with Josh after our little bathroom mixup were probably some of the most uncomfortable moments of my life.

Something about hearing someone you've just met getting off with their secret boyfriend on your first day changes you. The fact that I still hadn't met said secret boyfriend meant he must have told him. I had suggested we all do something together to sort of break the ice but apparently this Adam guy said no. Poor guy.

Technically I don't know what he had to be embarrassed about. It wasn't his moans I was hearing. Things, although awkward, between me and Josh at first was surprisingly good. Once he realised I was telling the truth about not spreading his secret around school we got much closer.

Truth be told I've never had a friend like him. Well I've actually never had a gay friend either but that's not the point. He didn't even act the way I thought a gay guy would. What I meant was that I didn't really have any true friends at my old school.

There were lots of guys in my group sure. I even knew them all by name. But that's about as far as it went. I was probably closest to James and I didn't even know he had a sister until about a month before I'd left. That's a little shocking seeming we had been "friends" for eight years.

I actually did think we were friends until I showed up at his house after my mom kicked me out and he said I couldn't stay. He had a girl over and I would have ruined everything.

He suggested I come back tomorrow.

Josh though, in the one week I've been here has introduced me to his parents, welcomed me onto his swim team and let me borrow his gym shorts when I forgot mine, then started bringing a spare pair in case it happened again. He always left a space for me next to him a lunch and he never let the guys drill on me too much.

Some of it might have to do with him wanting to not piss me off but I think he's learning that I'm not that type of guy.

We were all sitting around at lunch waiting for Friday to end and freedom to come. A couple of the guys were arm wrestling at the end of the table, Josh was texting Adam I imagined from the look on his face and I was watching Cassie talking with her friend Jessica. She looked bored and a little pissed off, something I didn't really see often when it was just the two of us.

Her smile was something I kind of needed these days. I found it unsettling when she was mad. Specifically, her annoyance was aimed at that one friend of hers. Jessica, yes I had learned her name.

This girl seemed to be nothing but annoying if you ask me but Cassie says she owes her a lot for being there throughout the years. She doesn't think people like being around her. She looks at herself like a burden on her friends. She doesn't see and feel what I do then.

It's safe to say I've grown overly attached to the girl who sleeps in the room across the hall. The few images of her running in only under-wear and an over-sized t shirt burned into my mind.

For some reason, maybe it was that I hadn't known her for that long at all; I couldn't seem to make a move. It wasn't normal for me to be the shy type. As of right now I was just hoping things would stay good and that we could keep getting closer. Maybe then I could grow a pair and kiss her.

Trying to distract myself from Cassie for a while I turned my attention back to Josh. he was still texting.

"Hey dude you want to come to mine today after school?"

I didn't get an answer. He was totally zoned in on his phone. I punched him hard in the arm holding the phone and he looked up startled.

"What the fuck was that for? You made me send a half-finished text"