Chapter nine

Riley's POV

Continuing flashback (the beginning)

I woke up and instantly felt the hand wrapped in mine. It only woke me because it wasn't loosely wrapped, it was more like a vice grip. I wanted to open my eyes to see Sammy.

He had a rough night after I helped clean him up. The poor kid was so exhausted he couldn't even flinch when I touched him. I'd only known him all of four hours but I knew he wanted to pull away from me. He seemed more comfortable with me then with Cassie but not enough that he fully trusted me.

Seeing his scars made me sick and furious as hell. They're long and jagged. They're enough to make the strongest man cringe. Some look fresh, others old but I don't think any are old to Sammy.

Every time you touch him he seizes up in fear and I don't blame him after what he must have gone through to end up with scars like those.

He was such a small, cute little thing... In a totally not gay way. He wasn't very short but I still towered above him at 6'3. His big chocolate brown eyes that seemed to always be full of water made you want to hug him to your chest and never let him go.

I don't know what was going on with me. I felt a protectiveness of this kid I'd never before experienced. Maybe it was something like Cassie with me. Maybe he thought of me like a dad.

Oh god that thought made me want to vomit even more. No he definitely cannot think of me that way.

I opened my eyes despite the sun gauging at my eyeballs. Sammy was lying on his side facing me. He looked peaceful, a nice change from last night. After he fell asleep he seemed calm. I drifted off not long after. I was woken up at around 2 am to crying. not loud or anything just whimpering that got a little louder, then he would hiccup and start all over again whispering sad pleas to his father and mother.

I had sat there for a while just watching him but it got too upsetting so I tried in vain to hug him to me. It might have been too much of a movie cliché to work but at least I tried. All it did was make him squirm and cry in pain from his back, letting out panicky breaths while pushing me away. I sat back up again thinking what I could do to help I would need to so that I could at least sleep.

So I reluctantly took his hand in mine. He reacted well, stopped crying and squeezed it tightly. I thought he was awake at first but his breath came back to normal and he sleep soundly after that. I just found it weird that he hadn't let to at all.

It was 11 am so we should definitely have gotten up by now. It's spring break so we don't have school for another week and a half. I didn't realise how grateful I would be for the time off. Our hands would be full with Sammy. I knew when Cassie had crossed the road towards him that he would be coming home with us. She looked at him the exact same way three months ago.

Yeah, Three months. That's how long it was since I was rescued from the streets and brought to this heaven. And heaven is the only word I will use to describe it. Cassie is quite literally the greatest person I have ever known. She throws herself heart and she into your life, unravels all your dirty secrets and leaves you a big ball of emotions on the floor.

I don't know how many nights I spent crying like a baby into her arms in bed. But she out me back together again, made me feel like I wasn't worthless or pathetic. I knew we would do the same for Sammy. He would need it, a shoulder to cry on and a bed to crawl to when things got too hard to be alone. I wanted to be that for him more than I wanted him to run to Cassie, and that really freaked me out.

I should want him to go to Cassie; I should want to bring home girls not him. I can't describe it right now but I want to help him and I will.

"Hey Sammy it's time to get up ok" I tugged a little at his hand and he cuddled in closer to my side