Chapter twelve

Samuels POV

Continuing flashback (the first date)

He called me Friday night and I didn't answer I was too afraid. I thought Derek would call me back but he didn't.

On Saturday He texted me. I heard my phone buzz on the bed side table.

Riley glanced over at me and then back at his book. He was pretending to study but I knew what he was really doing.He had been mad with me since I told him about my date with Derek.

He'd been grumbling and pacing the house sulking. Cassie stopped trying to make us talk about it thank god. I couldn't be more confused by his actions.

He wasn't gay, I knew by the sounds him and that girl Amy made every couple of nights. He acted angry that I had left his room, hurt even, but if that was the case why would he have her there.

The first night of sleeping by myself was difficult to say the least. I was like a living zombie and my back ached constantly throughout the day. I hadn't realised how helpful Riley's back rubs had been with helping me get to sleep.

Last night during dinner I couldn't sit still with the pain in my shoulders. Riley even thought he was angry with me must have noticed between all glares he was shooting me. We hadn't finished eating for more than two or three minutes before Amy bounced into the kitchen. She had made a habit of letting herself in, something I think Cassie hated about her. Well that and other things.

For starters she run her fingers through Riley's hair to get it out of his eyes so he won't 'fall', like it is even that long, she sometimes comes down to the kitchen fumbling around after they've probably been fooling around, trying to make him something to eat. She usually ends up making so much noise and mess that Cassie goes to help and clean up. Whenever Cassie comes back to watch movies with me in the living room she has a sour look on her face. I hate to see her mad, it makes me not like Amy even more.

I'm jealous of her I guess, she's beautiful and she holds so much of Riley's attention when she's around. My father was right when he said I was always seeking attention seeking, an ugly trait he would say. I envied the way she got to touch him, how he reacted to her touch. I didn't like to imagine the two of them lying side by side in bed, the bed I used to sleep in.

That's a silly thought right? I only slept there a couple of weeks and now look at me, acting as though I had some right to be there. Amy had more right than I ever would, and maybe that's what made me sad.

They left the table and I headed to the living room to finish my homework and wait for Cassie to finish the dishes. We wouldn't see Riley and Amy again tonight I don't think. It had only been two days and I already could see this going badly. I could imagine us talking less and less, only seeing each other at dinner. We would just be roommates

We watched tangled that night and I ended up going to bed early. I was never a watch the same movie over and over kind of person and we'd probably watched tangled four times in two weeks. My shoulders ached, every time I moved it sent shots of pain down my back.

I got into bed in just my boxers like normal; wrapping the blankets snug around me I grab two big pillows and crush them to my side, almost like spooning a person. The pain in my shoulder is worse in this position so I move. After ten minutes of shuffling around my blankets are everywhere and all I can do is scream into the pillows. I lie staring at the ceiling for a few minutes until I head my door open slowly.

I roll onto my stomach and do my best to make my breathing even, like I was asleep. I jump when I feel cold hands on my back but calm down instantly when I know who they belong to.