8

"Not that I'm not thrilled to see you, Heather," Hiccup said as he approached, "but isn't it dangerous for you to be here right now?"

"Ryker thinks I'm scouting out a new island for 'valuable dragons'," Heather spoke with disgust. She then turned to Aldru and prompted curiously, "speaking of 'valuable dragons'..what is this? I've never heard of one quite like this before."

Hiccup laughed and rubbed the back of his neck, as he laughed, "oh, you have no idea."

• • •

"That's amazing!" Heather admired as she watched Aldru change into a human for the first time. "And that song you sang was to make sure Windsheer was calm enough for you to fly with us," she observed.

Hiccup and Aldru had given Heather a summary of the song wing species while they waited for everyone to gather in the club house. "That's right," Aldru confirmed, "I'd never met a razorwhip before, but I've heard they're easily spooked."

Finally, everyone was in the club house. There was a short, joyous reunion with their friend before business had to be discussed. And it was. But before long, Heather had to leave; Ryker and Dagur would be expecting her back soon. So they bid their farewells and she was off.

"Aldru, thanks for bringing Heather here safely," Hiccup thanked as all of the Vikings began to trickle apart for their daily tasks.

Aldru smiled a proud smile at the praise, "it's no problem." She then hopped gracefully onto the table and asked excitedly, "anything I can help with today?"

Hiccup chuckled lightly, "first of all, get down from there before you break something." Aldru giggled and let the handsome Viking help her down. "And second," Hiccup continued, "aren't you tired from being up all night?"

Aldru raced to the entrance of the club house as she answered, "nope."

Hiccup chased after her and gave her a crooked grin, "well in that case..."

For the rest of the afternoon, Aldru helped Hiccup bathe Toothless and wash his saddle. Ruffnut and Tuffnut eventually joined them with Barf and Belch. But instead of washing their dragon, they massaged mud onto his scales. Barf and Belch didn't seem to mind, though.

But, as most thing that involve the twins and mud go, it ended with two very dirty Vikings and one very flustered two headed dragon. After finally calming everyone down, Hiccup ordered them to wash the mud off of their dragon.

"Ugh, fun killer," Ruff muttered.

"Right," Tuff agreed, then shouted back at Hiccup, "can't you just let us 'mud' in peace?"

Hiccup shook his head and sighed. Aldru placed a hand on his shoulder and reminded positively, "at least they're not setting the island on fire."

"Not this time," Hiccup corrected. But he couldn't help feeling less stressed at the sound of Aldru's voice. It made him wonder if that was something song wings could do, or if it was something else entirely.

When Aldru removed her hand from Hiccup's shoulder, he felt the unpleasant cold return to his skin. And the rest if that day went by as any other. By the time everyone was going to sleep, a plan was set for the next day. A plan to finally infiltrate the dragon hunters' base.

• • •

"And no song of good luck this time," Hiccup concluded his talk with Aldru as the other riders began to mount their dragons.

Snotlout rolled his eyes and pleaded, "what about just a little one?"

But Hiccup immediately shot him down, "no. We don't want Aldru to pass out like that again. She was alright last time, but who knows what could happen this time?"

"Hiccup," Aldru interrupted with a gentle smile, "it's nice to know that you care about my well being, but I am a song wing, and this is what I do." She then turned to Snotlout and smirked, "just a small one, for strength of mind and focus."

Hiccup sighed in defeat, "alright, at least stay on the ground this time."

With a small laugh, Aldru changed into dragon form and sang. It sounded very similar to the good luck song, except slower and shorter. Once finished, Aldru showed no sign of fainting.

Hiccup smiled and scratched Aldru softly under her chin, "thanks, Aldru. We'll be back by tomorrow morning."

Aldru made a gentle clicking sound, so quiet that only Hiccup could hear it, but it made him smile. Then, it was time for the riders to go. Chicken waddled over to Aldru and perched on her tail. Together they watched the dragons leave.

• • •

Aldru woke to the distance sound of dragons soaring towards the island. She hadn't moved from her spot on the landing platform since the day before. Curled up in her long tail, Chicken, too, awaited the riders' return.

After stretching out and yawning big, Aldru picked up Chicken and began flying out to meet the approaching dragons. Not too far off shore, she found them. She looked questioningly into Hiccup's eyes as if to ask, how did it go?

Hiccup smiled crookedly, "they knew we were coming; Viggo's a lot smarter than we all expected. But Heather's safe, and we freed almost all of the dragons."

Aldru looped in the air and squawked happily. She then made her way over to Ruff and Tuff. Upon sight of Tuffnut, Chicken bawked excitedly and flapped her wings. Aldru tossed her to the brother, who caught her and grinned. "Chicken!"

Flipping gracefully through the low clouds, Aldru lined herself up next to Windsheer and greeted her silver friend. However, a deep tension lingered around Heather as she rode in silence. But soon everyone was back at Dragon's Edge and getting some much needed rest.

Aldru, who didn't need any rest this morning, decided to explore the Edge in her human form. She walked from platform to platform, taking in all of the new details in their growing fortress. But to her surprise, when Aldru passed by the club house, she heard voices.

"Are you sure that's what you saw?" A voice she recognized as Hiccup's asked.

"I'm sure," another voice, Heather's, confirmed.

A third voice then spoke, heavy sorrow on her tongue, "..when do you think we should tell her?"

There was a deep sigh, then Hiccup answered, "I guess, the sooner the better."

Unable to contain her curiosity, Aldru opened the door. It creaked quietly, but in the already silent room it sounded loud. She felt the three pairs of eyes burning into her. "What's going on?" Aldru asked nervously.