23

Aldru felt her breath catch in her throat. It was all a surprise to her, but what got to her the most was, "she was killed..by dragons?" It didn't make any sense.

Stoick, who must not've known too much about song wings responded, "back then, that's what dragons would do." But Aldru knew, and so did Hiccup: song wings are the most respected species among all other dragons.

Aldru didn't know what to say. She'd never known her mother, so how could this upset her? Instead of sadness, all she felt was confusion. Stoick pulled her from her thoughts with gentle words, "I'll tell you what I once told her; that I will keep your secret, and treat you as one of my own people."

Aldru smiled thankfully up at the chief. "Thank you, and for telling me..it's another piece of my life put into place."

Stoick nodded and stood to leave.

Now, Hiccup looked at Aldru and asked with concern, "are you okay?"

"I'm not upset that she's gone; I never knew her," Aldru responded with scrunched eyebrows, "but the way she died.."

"Yeah, I was thinking it, too," Hiccup added grimly, "it doesn't make any sense."

"Dragons recognize a song wing immediately, it's instinct," Aldru told him, "if she was killed by dragons..they were forced."

The two thought for a moment, but Aldru decided it wasn't going to do them any good. Therefore, she changed the subject. "How crazy that your dad knew my mom though, right?"

Hiccup gave a short laugh, "yeah. I'm just surprised that he was friends with a dragon before I was." The two chuckled together before he added, "by the way," he paused to touched her hair that was carefully braided over her shoulder, "I like this."

Aldru grinned shyly, still not used to the forwardness yet. But it made her heart happy, and her soul warm. Together, they walked back outside and joined their friends.

• • •

It was late at night back at the Edge and Snotlout was out on watch. In the past week, Aldru was able to build her own hut, with help of course. And although it was small, it felt good to have one.

There was a knock on her door as she packed a small bag. Quickly, she tossed the bag aside and opened the door. "Hiccup," she greeted in surprise, "what are you doing still awake?"

"I just wanted to check in on you," he told her with a smile. But as his gaze fell behind Aldru, he frowned. "Are you..going somewhere?" He questioned upon seeing the full bag.

Aldru sighed and gave him a hesitant grin. "Do you really want to know?"

Hiccup, quite confused now, answered firmly, "yes, I do."

Aldru frowned, knowing she'd been caught. "Alright," she gave in, speaking slowly and carefully, "..I wanted to go talk to Viggo again."

"You what?" Hiccup exclaimed. His eyes were nervous and concerned as he went on, "I thought you didn't want anything to do with him anymore?"

"Well I didn't, but the more I thought about it," she defended, "I think I could get him to leave us alone."

Hiccup frowned. "Aldru, he won't. As long as we free the dragons, he'll be after us."

Aldru looked down and spoke in a quiet tone, "he's my father, I have to try." Aldru finally met Hiccup's eyes again. "Do you know why I decided to step back from this war?" She asked, "because I can't fight against him. Now if there's a chance that I could stop the fighting completely, I'm going to take it."

For a moment, Hiccup didn't know what to say. Then, he sighed, "I can't say that I don't understand that...just be careful, please."

Aldru smiled wide and wrapped her arms around Hiccup, "I will." She landed a small kiss on his lips, then was off.

• • •

"Uh, you know her?" One hunter asked another as they stood guard to the entrance of Viggo's base.

"Don't think so," the second hunter said, "you?"

The first hunter squinted at the approaching girl. "No clue." Finally the girl reached them, and one hunter demanded, "state your business."

"I'm Aldru," the girl told them, "I'm here to see Viggo."

The hunters exchanged a look then laughed loudly. The second hunter finally caught his breath to say, "random people can't just come in and see Viggo."

Aldru frowned and sighed, "I don't believe he'd forgive you if sent me away." She took a step forward and asked inquisitively, "how much of your lives are you willing to risk?"

Both hunters stopped laughed and began to imagine if Aldru was right. "You may not know who I am," she spoke confidently, "but if you did, you'd hold your tongue."

Finally the guards agreed to take her to Viggo. Aldru knew that her plan with the guards would work, but she was still surprised. Not so much by it working, but by how well she took full control; that wasn't something she'd ever done before.

When they reached Viggo's tent, the guards went back to their posts and Aldru entered. At the far back of the tent, Viggo stood over his table, examining charts and maps. Behind him hung the pair of song wing wings that Heather had mentioned so long ago, making Aldru's stomach twist. Viggo looked up and was speechless for a moment. Finally, he asked, "..what are you doing here?"

Aldru spoke honestly, but still guarded, "I needed to come back."

Viggo eyed her suspiciously. "You're not going to get at my emotions that easily," he told her, "I know you work for the riders."

"I don't work for anyone," she affirmed.

At this, Viggo couldn't help but smile and muse, "you act just like your mother." So much for not letting his emotions out. Aldru choked on her breath as the man beckoned, "come here."

Doing as she was told, Aldru stopped in front of the table. Viggo came out from behind it and stood right in front of her. She found it interesting how weak he seemed around her. He placed a hesitant hand on her cheek and breathed out heavily, "and the resemblance.."

Aldru wasn't sure how to react to the affection. She gave a nervous laugh and responded, "so I've been told."

Viggo cocked his head curiously and asked, "you have?"

"I met another old friend of hers recently," she explained, awkwardly stepping away from Viggo. "He told me a lot about her..and how she died."