16

Aldru, rolled back over. As she did, she changed to her human form and sat directly across from Hiccup. "You always fall for the cute-innocent-dragon card," Aldru boasted with a proud grin.

Hiccup sighed and shook his head before standing back up. He offered his hand to Aldru, to which she gladly let him pull her up. But once they were standing again, Hiccup felt something heavy and soft hit his back. He lost balance and fell over. However, Aldru was still right infront of him, so instead of him landing on the wood ground, he landed on her.

Aldru, who'd been lucky enough to fall back onto a pile of hay, laughed as she watched a very dizzy looking sheep leave the stables. In the distance they heard the twins snickering and running off.

Hiccup and Aldru both laughed, until they're noses bumped and they remembered the position they were in. Although it didn't seem to phase Aldru that Hiccup was laying on top of her, the young man's face immediately turned bright red.

With a small frown, Aldru concerned, "what's wrong?"

"Oh, n-nothing," Hiccup stuttered, "I'm great--I mean, I'm okay--i-it's okay." It was obvious that he was nervous, but when he heard Aldru's giggled every bit of his embarrassment seemed to fade away.

When Aldru met his eyes again, she was shocked to find a very different, very new look in them. She was even more surprised when one of his hands touched her cheek. Now, it was her turn to blush.

The silence was broken by a very close, subtle cooing. Aldru furrowed her eyebrows and looked to see Chicken sitting in the hay right beside her face, watching the two intently. Aldru slowly turned her head back to look at Hiccup. When their eyes met, they both laughed again.

Having lost his courage, Hiccup turned himself over so that he was laying in the hay beside Aldru. He heaved a heavy sigh and stared out of the stables. Happiness spread through him though when he felt Aldru slip her hand into his. He closed his eyes for a moment and smiled to himself.

• • •

It was that time again for Hiccup and the riders to go after the hunters, they'd gotten a tip they simply couldn't refuse. Aldru waited in her human form on the landing platform with the other dragons and Fishlegs.

"I wonder what those hunters have going on today that's so secret," Aldru muttered.

"Nothing good, I'm sure," Fishlegs replied wearily.

Finally, the other riders were ready. But before mounting his dragon, Hiccup came over to Aldru. "Hey, I don't know if this is a good mission for you to come on," he spoke with a small frown.

"Maybe if you got more information on this 'secret hunter mission,'" Snotlout began, "we'd know if it were safe for Aldru."

"Snotlout," Astrid snapped and shot him a glare that shut him right up.

Aldru was obviously disappointed, but accepted it. "You're right," she gave in, "besides, I shouldn't be taking these kinds of risks."

Hiccup smiled down at Aldru, and she returned it with a grin of her own. "Stay outta trouble," he joked, then climbed on top of Toothless. As the riders flew off, they were enlightened to hear Aldru's song for safe travels.

• • •

Once they returned, Aldru was quite shocked to find them in possession of a large egg. Later in the night, the egg hatched; a death song. Heather took care for it for a while, singing to keep him calm. And the next day, everyone took turns with him in attempts to train him. But all Aldru could think about was what Viggo had said to her, my men mistook her for a young death song.

As she watched the small dragon sleep, Aldru took in his features. He had the exact colors of her sister; yellow and orange, with a bit a red accent. Even after returning Garf to his home on Melody Island, Aldru couldn't stop thinking about it. And since it was her night to take watch, she had all night to think.

At least, she'd hoped so.

As the night came to an end with only an hour left of dark, something felt off. Aldru decided to fly the perimeter again, and on the far end of the island she spotted a human figure. She landed silently a few yards away from the person to stay out of sight. But when she got a better look at the person, relief flooded her body.

Aldru leapt out of the bushes happily and hopped over to the human. She jumped on them and knocked them to the ground. "Wha-?" The person began, before letting out a laugh, "oh! Hello, there." It was Dagur.

The man grabbed Aldru by her scaley sides and lifted her off of him so that he could stand. "It's Aldru, right? Such an odd name for a dragon," Dagur remarked as he brushed the dirt from his back. He then felt a new weight on his body and was surprised to find Aldru attatched to his back, her little talons peaking over his shoulders.

"Hah!" Dagur chuckled. He then began walking toward the Edge, "come on, little buddy."

After a long walk, they finally made it to back. Aldru made sure to steer Dagur clear of the sleeping Vikings, especially Heather, and led him to the club house instead. Once inside, she let the door close.

"What are we doing here?" Dagur questioned.

Aldru looked up at him and sat down as if to say, waiting.

"Ah, okay," Dagur responded. Quickly growing bored, Dagur began to fidget around with whatever he could find.

Aldru followed him closely making sure he didn't do anything that they would both regret. She watched him pick up and admire Hiccup's fire sword. With a small gurgle, she lifted her head and pressed her snout to a button on it.

"Woah!" Dagur exclaimed as the sword ignited into flames, "now that's a sword..how interesting."

As he spoke these words, Hiccup opened the door and gasped, "Dagur?!"