Chapter 38

I stand frozen in my hotel dressing gown in the centre of our suite, feeling as though I'm in the eye of a powerful storm. My eyes drift around the whirlwind of activity that engulfs me, not able to take in how much is being prepared... just for me.

At least a dozen people fill the suite, all seeming to have an important job to do. Lights are being wheeled in and set up around a tall black chair. At the same time, a serious faced woman unfolds endless reams of makeup brushes on one of the many tables that have been set up. I watch her intently as she inspects them as though she is a surgeon checking her medical equipment.

I see my dress being carried in to the room like it is the most delicate thing in the world. It is encased in a black cover, completely hidden from sight. Above the furore I hear someone shout to the girl not to open it yet when she reaches for the zip. She pulls her hands immediately away, making the cover sway gently like it is dancing to a slow ballad.

There is no one in the room I recognise since Rhys was here to inspect everyone on arrival. Both he and Ben have shut themselves away in the other room to ensure that the security is fully in place for this evening. Daniel has insisted that he needs to be aware of every precaution that is being taken, so he's also disappeared into the other room. As I look at the chaos unfolding around me, I can't help but feel like I'm a lamb left to the slaughter.

Someone lifts my broken hand that was hanging loosely by my side. I swiftly pull my arm away to see Robin cautiously studying my reaction.

"Sorry." I laugh awkwardly because I hadn't seen her arrival. "Didn't see you there." I allow her to inspect the thin but strong skin coloured sleeve that the doctor changed for me this morning.

"I was calling you sweetie, but you were in a world of your own. That sleeve is perfect... I don't think you will even see it beneath the lace." She smiles, clearly relieved. "How are you feeling?"

"It aches a lot more now the cast is off." I answer honestly while moving my fingers. I really should find my painkillers.

"Not about your wrist, silly... about tonight." She giggles.

"Nervous..." I mutter. "So God damn nervous." What if I trip? Oh shit, what if I fall? My mind starts to spiral with scenarios of how awful tonight could be. What if I fall and bring Daniel down with me? What if Daniel wins the award and I don't look happy enough for the cameras? What if Daniel doesn't win and I look pissed off?

"Lizzie?" Robin waves her hand in front of my face. "Drink this." She commands as she swiftly pours a vodka, and passes the glass to me. "Settle your nerves."

I down it without a word, and shudder at the burn in my throat.

"Now, take a breath and calm down. Everything is going to be just fine." Her smile is so sincere, I find myself grinning back at her and nodding. "He will take care of you."

I genuinely smile, knowing that he will. "It's not that... I'm... well..." I stutter, not able to communicate how worried I am.

"You can tell me. I promise it will stay between us. Today, I'm here just for you." She lightly touches the end of my nose with her forefinger when she says you.

I lean in to make sure only Robin can hear me. "I'm just worried I'm going to embarrass him... I'm clumsy... I'm not exactly Hollywood material... my face gives away what I'm feeling... what if I say the wrong thing to someone? I'm just me, Robin... I don't feel like I'm enough..." I look around us at the hive of activity feeling completely overwhelmed.

"Now... you listen here." Robin tries to speak sternly, but she's too softly spoken for her to have any real impact. "I'm going to let you in on secret that a designer told me when I was her student. Not one person who is genuine, kind and intelligent feels like they fit in with all of this." She waves her hands around dramatically to emphasise her point. "Only truly self absorbed individuals feel like they belong, like somehow it makes them better than everyone else. But, you are beautiful on the inside and on the outside. It's natural to worry, but if I were you... I'd try to just enjoy it all. Daniel will be by your side from start to finish to guide you through."