Chapter 60

"I don't see why we had to wait until morning for you to go and buy a test! Rhys or Ben would have driven us to a twenty four hour supermarket." He folds his arms across his bare chest with a pout while he sits back against the headboard. "I could have driven Rhys's car for fuck sake."

"I wasn't waking them up at two in the morning to drive us to buy a pregnancy test! Also, you'd had far too much wine to drive me anywhere." I crawl across the enormous bed to kiss his plump lips. "The shop in the village will be open in half an hour, so I'll go and buy one then."

"I'll come with you." He pulls the covers back, stepping out of bed before stretching his long arms above his head.

"No you won't." I shake my head before also clambering off the bed. I scrunch the waves of my hair as I apply some lipstick while sitting down in front of the mirror. "The last thing we need is someone recognising you while we buy a pregnancy test! It'll be all over the internet in five minutes." I turn to look at him and my heart melts at his melancholy expression when he realises I'm right. "I need to do a bit of food shopping anyway, so Rhys has already agreed to come with me."

"Please hurry back." He moves fluidly to position himself behind me. Daniel lowers his head to nuzzle the side of my neck. He begins to pepper featherlight kisses along my exposed shoulder in my cream bardot summer dress. A shudder ripples down my spine as I audibly gasp when his teeth nip my sensitive flesh. I feel his lips turn into a grin against my hot skin. Using his fingertips, Daniel begins to lower my dress. I lean back into him with my eyes firmly closed as I feel the dress being lowered beneath my strapless bra.

"Lizzie, you ready?" Rhys shouts up the stairs, making us both jump.

I quickly straighten my dress and peck Daniel on the lips. "Coming." I shout back.

"You would have been." Daniel says grumpily, making me snort with surprised laughter.

"I'll be back soon and then maybe we can pick up where we left off?" Without responding Daniel presses me flat against the door and kisses me almost aggressively. Once he pulls back I'm a little shaky and grasping for breath. "I will take that as a yes." I smirk.

"You know I want you all the time, so take it as a definite. But, first we need to do the test. Agreed?" He suddenly looks nervous as his forehead creases with worry lines. "I just need to know."

"As soon as I'm back, we will do it straight away." I reach up on my tiptoes to kiss him before I step away from the door. I pull it open and smile back at him. "I love you."

"I love you too... always."

We drive into the village in comfortable silence. Rhys finds a parking space near to the village green. As we walk across the open space I breathe in the morning fresh air. I don't know how but the air feels cleaner here.

My hand idly falls across my stomach when I see a young mother pushing her baby in a pram. "Freddie, don't run too far ahead." She shouts to a little blonde boy of around two who runs ahead of them carelessly with a blue balloon. He stops to turn round and runs all the way back to her, giggling as he watches his balloon float above his head.

I push down the hope that attempts to swell inside of me that I could be pregnant. It's just stress making you late, I tell myself silently, you're not pregnant. Self preservation means that I cannot allow myself to dare to believe that I could have another human being inside of me, especially one that is half of Daniel.

Rhys holds the door open for me to enter the convenience store, and I immediately pick up a basket. Slowly I meander through the store and fill the basket with ingredients for me to cook for us later. I notice the medical isle and stand before the pregnancy tests with a pounding heart. I choose three, and place them quickly in the basket.