Chapter 64

Sarah reaches to hold one of my clammy hands in both of hers. I don't even take my eyes off the surgeon as I lower myself rigidly onto the chair. Sarah shuffles closer to me, but I can't take any comfort by her presence until I know he is alive. The surgeon's features give nothing away, but then I imagine he's had years of practice in delivering news like this.

"I'm Daniel's mother, so please speak directly to me." Madison barks from somewhere in the background.

My breath hitches in my throat that she is choosing to pull rank on me now, before we know whether he is breathing or...

At the thought of the alternative a sob escapes my mouth. "I'm sorry." I whisper, covering my mouth to compose myself. Sarah remains silent but squeezes my hand a little tighter.

"Don't be sorry," the doctor says calmly. He then smoothly grabs a chair and pulls it in front of me, sitting down so he is at my level. "My apologies. Ms. Cooper here is named as Daniel's next of kin, so I was not aware there was any other family members present. Anyway... I have news." He clears his throat to ensure his voice is steady. "Firstly, I want to say that he's a fighter! The surgery, although we had... a few difficulties... was a success."

"Oh thank God!" I exclaim loudly, releasing the breath I didn't know I was holding with a whoosh. "Can I see him?"

"Not just yet. I promise you now Ms. Cooper, you will be able to see him soon. But, I need to make sure you're prepared for when you do see him."

"What do you mean?" Madison asks formally from behind us.

The doctor glances up towards her before returning his attention to me. "As you know, Daniel was shot in the chest. I want you to know that you should be very proud of yourself, because the pressure you applied to the wound may well have saved his life. However, the gun shot entered through his rib cage, splintering the bone. Both the bullet and fragments of bone then unfortunately penetrated his lung." The surgeon points to his chest where the bullet entered Daniel's lung.

I feel as though I'm in a dream as he talks, like any second Daniel is going to shake me from this nightmare. Pinching my arm discreetly, the sharp pain reminds me that this is all really happening.

"Daniel's lung collapsed as a result, but thankfully it was not the side of his heart... because we would not be having this conversation! During the surgery I believe I've managed to remove the bullet and the fragments of bone... that's a good thing..." he smiles reassuringly. "The surgery was more complicated than we first believed, but I've managed to save his lung without having to remove any of the lobes." I must look confused because the surgeon continues to explain with an understanding expression. "Each lung has three lobes, upper, middle and lower. During the surgery, I thought I may have to remove one of the lobes, but by taking my time I didn't have to remove any of them."

I stare at the surgeon's magical hands as he speaks, knowing that minutes ago they would have literally held Daniel's lung in them.

"Now... when you see him, he's going to look a little scary to you. He's on an intravenous drip of antibiotics to make sure he doesn't pick up any nasty infections. In addition, he has an endotracheal tube in his throat which is attached to a ventilator. This is to help him breathe. Furthermore, he also has a thoracostomy tube, or simply put, a chest tube. This is a tube that is placed in the space between the chest wall and the repaired lung." The surgeon points to just underneath his armpit to demonstrate where the tube has been inserted. "It gets rid any excess blood or other fluids so that his lung can remain inflated while it heals. We're going to keep him sedated for the next twenty four hours or so just to kick start the healing process, but I'm positive about his prognosis."