Chapter 66

Feeling a hand rest on my shoulder in my slumber, I snap my head up in the hope that it is Daniel. Disorientated from the sudden movement, it takes me a second to remember where I am. Reality plummets into my gut like a stone when I focus on the steady beeps. I must have nodded off in the chair leaning forward as my head rested on the edge of Daniel's bed.

"Ms. Cooper." The familiar soothing voice of Daniel's surgeon speaks from directly behind my chair.

"Is everything OK?" My eyes open widely as I look from the doctor to Daniel. Thankfully, Daniel still looks peaceful as he continues to sleep.

He nods reassuringly. "All is fine. But, I was wondering if you could just step out of the room for a moment please?"

"Why?" I ask breathlessly, standing up to stroke my hand across Daniel's cheek.

"We're going to take Daniel off the ventilator. Also, we're going to remove the tube from his throat and from his chest." He smiles widely and I beam back in response.

"That's good news, isn't it?" My question begins positive, but then doubt creeps into my tone.

"Yes! We now want Daniel to do this on his own-"

"So he will wake up?" I cut off the doctor to ask my question.

"I'm hoping so. There isn't a time frame I can give you, I'm afraid. But, if he doesn't wake up with a couple of days of the machines being switched off, I will start to run some more tests to see if there is any other damage."

"What do you mean by other damage?" I grip Daniel's hand tightly, but my eyes do not leave the doctor's face.

"Look, Ms. Cooper, I'm not here to frighten you, but you know that Daniel's condition is very serious. However, where we are right now is very positive and I want you to keep that in mind! Daniel is a strong and healthy man, the surgery was a success and now he is ready to heal at his own pace without the assistance of technology. So, how about we just see what happens over the next forty eight hours?" He raises his eyebrows towards me as I nod in agreement. "Great! Once Daniel is doing it all on his own, I'm going to get him taken down for a scan. I just want to make sure that lung is healing properly. So, why don't you come back in around half an hour once he's back?"

"OK." I mumble. Reaching up on my tiptoes I kiss Daniel's forehead several times. "Daniel, you need to do all this on your own now. So, let's show these doctors what you're made of, yeah?" I speak close to his ear to make sure he can hear me. "I'm going to check in on Ben, grab a tea and then I'll be back. Thirty minutes, I promise." I squeeze his hand before turning to leave the room. "Thank you, Doctor." I say as my attention turns back to the surgeon.

He pats my back softly in support. "He's in good hands." I nod at his words.

As I step out of the room several doctors and nurses walk passed me, ready to help the surgeon. I smile at each of them as they say hello on their way into the room. The quiet click of the door closing behind me leaves me with a feeling of foreboding. As I walk towards Ben's room I try to shake it off, but I just can't.

Outside Ben's room I can hear Sarah and Ben laughing. I peer my head around the door to see Sarah lying on the bed, cuddled up to Ben. He strokes her blonde hair as she talks animatedly to him. Ben leans back against the pillow with his eyes closed, but a gentle grin tugs at his lips while he listens to her. Suddenly, I feel like I am intruding on their private moment.

Pulling away from the door, I step back into the corridor. Shall I go in? Shaking my head and biting my lip harshly to stop my tears falling again, I decide not to disturb them. If Daniel were awake now, I'd want it to just be the two of us.