Chapter 44

I twist the balls of my feet beneath the burning hot top layer of powdery white sand to feel the coolness underneath between my toes. The crushed ice within my cocktail has now melted, so I gulp it down before the powerful sun warms it too much to drink. The rum infused, fruity cocktail glides effortlessly down my dry throat.

Leaning back on my lounger, I raise my face to meet with the sun. Even with my eyes firmly closed, I feel it's heat penetrate my skin to warm my bones. I lie perfectly still, relishing in the tranquility.

"Lizzie." I hear my name being called, so I sit up with a grin on my face. "Come on in, the water is beautiful!" Daniel exclaims from the crystal clear shallows. He bobs up and down with the soft waves. His muscular arms waving animatedly for me to join him. His expression is one of complete contentment as he squints with one eye to shield his view from the beaming sun. His dark wavy locks are pushed back off his handsome face.

I stand up and happily make my way down to the water. The beach is empty except for us which makes the smile I wear grow even wider.

The coolness of the ocean takes my breath away for a second before I get used to the temperature. Daniel reaches for my hand and pulls me swiftly to him. Giggling, I wrap my legs around his waist underneath the gentle waves, and glide my hands over his broad shoulders. They are hot to the touch from being out of the water.

"Hi, Mrs Weston." Daniel murmurs against my lips before he kisses me deeply. I allow his tongue to invade my mouth, meeting his passion willingly.

"Lizzie?" I hear from the beach, making me break our kiss to turn round. I don't see anyone there, but I know something isn't right.

"Stay here with me." Daniel suddenly pleads desperately, but I know in my gut that I cannot stay here. "Don't leave, we're safe here..."

"Lizzie?" I feel my shoulders being gently shook. I then open my eyes, and I'm in my hospital room. I slam my head back against the pillow in disappointment that it was just a dream.

I focus on Dr. Abbott, and force myself to raise a half smile in greeting to him.

"I'm sorry to wake you. I know physiotherapy must have wore you out, but I just wanted to check how you were doing before I left for the day." He flicks through my notes as he speaks to me from the end of my bed.

"Day seven complete!" I laugh humourlessly. "She said I did fine, everything is improving better than she is expecting. But, I'm just so tired." I answer honestly while rubbing at my weary eyes.

"As we have told you, you need to cut yourself some slack. You were sedated for twenty days, Lizzie! You have to give your body time to recover." He scolds me, resulting in me rolling my eyes at repeatedly being told the same opinion.

"That's the thing Dr. Abbott, no one will tell me what I'm recovering from! If I hear once you're stronger one more time... well... I won't be responsible for my actions!" I grit my teeth in frustration.

"It was agreed that you would only be told once you were feeling up to processing it all. Your family and your partner didn't want to upset you when your condition was so... so..." He pauses, not sure how to finish his sentence.

"You can say it!"

"...delicate." He concludes with a wince.

"Mentally and physically I feel much stronger now. I'm reducing the pain medication every day and the physiotherapist said I'll be ready to go home soon! I just need to know now, Dr. Abbott... it's eating me alive!" I realise how whiny I sound, but I don't care. I'm ready to find out what happened.