4 - Troubles

"Oh, Tikki..." Marinette groaned, hiding her face in the pillow. "I'm so in troubles..."

"I'm worried about your new habits..." kwami replied.

"What?" The girl looked up.

"You'll suffocate. How many times do I have to repeat that there's no sense in hiding into a pillow in front of kwami?"

"Oh, you're right..." Marinette agreed. "But still... Oh, come on! What have I done?!"

"Long story short: Cat Noir visited you, and you – feeling guilty – agreed to prepare a gift for yourself." Tikki summed up, and her interlocutor hid in the pillow again.

"Hw cn I gt t f ths?" Marinette mumbled, and the kwami immediately moved the pillow from her embraces.

"I told you that you'd suffocate! And what have you just said?"

"How can I get out of this?" Marinette repeated.

"Just make the scarf. And then pretend you're very surprised when Can Noir gives you the gift."

"Tikki, be serious!"

"I am serious. I just remind you that you need to bear the consequences of your decisions."

"I couldn't refuse him the help!" Marinette confessed suddenly. "He said so many warm-hearted things about our friendship. He just wanted to do something nice for Ladybug! I can't believe he thought about a gift for me. And that it should be something special. And... Something that will remind me that it's from him..."

"Are you really going to make a green scarf?"

"Yes. I even have an idea of what it should look like. But if it's to succeed, I will need some money for the fabric. You know... The special scarf has to be made of special fabric."

"And you won't have a chance to wear it..." Tikki spotted.

"What? Why?" Marinette was surprised.

"Well... As Ladybug you shouldn't wear expensive scarves, because they can disturb you during the fight, or they can be damaged. And as Marinette you can't wear it, because Cat Noir will learn about your identity."

"Oh, I haven't thought about it."

"But you'll do what you think you should."

"Tikki, I can't withdraw now. It's important for Cat Noir. I can't let him down."

"Oh, of course..." Tikki winked meaningful, but Marinette didn't pay attention. She was already focused on the design of the green scarf...

***

Adrien woke up in the morning filled with so many optimistic thoughts. The talk he had had with Marinette yesterday evening gave him the hope that he could win Ladybug's heart. The plan was brilliant! When he gave her the gift, her heart would be melted, and she'd answer his feelings. Especially, if the present was so personal!

The boy sighed happily for the twentieth time at least, and that drove Plagg crazy. Oh, come on! How much he could think about Ladybug?! And how could he forget about poor kwami's stomach... Scandalous!

"I wonder how long it will take Marinette to make the scarf." Adrien muttered during brushing his teeth.

"I hope less than camembert needs to ripen..." Plagg murmured.

"What?"

"Somewhere there is a cow eating green grass. It gives tasty milk that will turn into the curd which will be transferred to low cylindrical camembert moulds..."

"Plagg, are you OK?"

"Not really. I'm trying to deceive my stomach with stories about cheese. Maybe it will start thinking that I've eaten something? Before I starve..."

"Come on, Plagg! You have the fridge full of camembert!"

"I had. Past simple tense, kid. I had."

"You've eaten everything?!" Adrien was shocked. "Winter is coming, or you're depressed?"

"Camembert should be eaten fresh. I have to eat it soon after its production, otherwise it can become overripe and dangerous for my health. I would never forgive myself if I had to throw away this wonderful cheese to the garbage."

"You shouldn't throw away food in general." Adrien stated.

"And now you're talking, kid!" kwami grinned. "Can I have my breakfast finally? I can promise you one thing" I'll never waste even a bit of cheese. Never!"

"I'm sure you won't. I remember that cheese is what you love the most in the world." The boy sighed. "I'm going for your breakfast then..."

"It will be a perfect day..." Plagg whispered dreamily.

Unfortunately, he was so wrong...