11 - The promised kiss

Warning! "Reverser" spoilers below!

Her worst nightmare just came true. Ladybug was always skilful and clever, but as soon as she was hit by Reversor's spell, she became clumsier than usually was as Marinette. She was tripping over her own feet. Moreover, she had to deal with scared Cat Noir. Which was so cute by the way, that she felt like cuddles rather than the fight against the super-villain. It didn't help her to focus on the mission. In addition, Cat Noir kept talking about finding Marinette, and she couldn't tell him that everything was fine with the girl. Except a little detail that as Ladybug she'd lost her skills. Fortunately, not all of them.

Good for her that she didn't lose her head and that she had friends she could count on. It was thanks to them that they managed to defeat Reverser, she regained her agility, and Cat Noir stopped being afraid of everything around him. Although... She had to admit it – it had its charm...

She sighed. Maybe it wasn't worth waiting for the scarf? Maybe she should just...

Ladybug glanced at Cat Noir sideways. He was still her partner. And yet she was painfully aware that for some time she couldn't treat him just "like a partner" anymore. Ever since they started spending almost every evening together, playing, talking, laughing at each other's jokes, Marinette more and more often caught herself on thinking that she was falling in love with Cat Noir. And after today's fight, she couldn't think of anything else but to kiss him.

"Remember, Kitty? I promised you a kiss once..." she asked him in a casual tone.

Cat Noir looked at her astonished. He stared at her for a moment, then suddenly looked away. Ladybug was a bit confused, not knowing what to think about it.

"Uhm, Bugaboo... I have to tell you something..." He muttered after a moment. "Don't be mad at me. But... I..."

"Yes?"

"Don't think it's because I lost patience or hope. Or that I betrayed your trust. Or that I was angry or something..."

"Just say it, Cat!" She said irritably.

"I fell in love."

"Oh, Cat..." She sighed, but this time somehow softly, not annoyed as she used to by this time.

"It's... There's a girl. Don't think I cheated on you or something. But... Recently... We've spent a lot of time with each other, and she really is wonderful. She's like you, but civilian. I don't know if you understand what I want to tell you..." he fell silent, suddenly embarrassed.

Her eyes flashed with happiness and she hugged him closely.

"I'm so glad, Cat..." she whispered.

And he stopped understanding anything anymore.

***

"M-Marinette? Are you there?" Cat Noir asked, looking down through the trapdoor in Marinette's balcony.

"I'm here, Cat! Come on in!" he heard a muted invitation from her room.

Seconds later he landed next to her couch, suddenly embarrassed. He didn't expect that Marinette would be watching a movie on TV. The movie that looked like a romantic comedy. Or a fairy tale. He wasn't sure after a quick glance on the DVD cover.

"What's that?" he asked.

"Princess Bride."

"Really, Purrincess?" he grinned.

"Oh, Cat... Please..." she rolled her eyes. "That's another classic from my parents. I've just started, so if don't mind, feel invited."

"Er... Sure. Why not?"

"Popcorn?" Marinette asked and put the bowl with snack between them.

He calculated calories quickly and noticed that some popcorn wouldn't kill him.

"Yeah."

"So, here we go!"

After a moment he already felt so comfortable that he let himself be drawn into the movie. Indeed, it was an old movie, but it had something magical – maybe in its landscapes, maybe in jokes, maybe in fight scenes, maybe in hypnotising music... And before he even knew it, in some incomprehensible way he found himself under the blanket, with Marinette resting on his shoulder. He put the popcorn bowl back on the floor and he fell asleep.

He woke up around midnight. At first, he didn't know where he was and why he was still Cat Noir. Then he realised that Marinette was also sleeping – with her head on his chest, hugging him in her sleep. He noticed that his hand was wrapping around her waist and his hand rested on her hip. He blushed. And then he suddenly felt the urge to move that hand along her side. He held his breath in amazement at this thought. And that holding his breath woke Marinette up.

She moved and opened her eyes. She stopped breathing for a moment as well, when she noticed she was lying on him. She raised her head and looked into his eyes, slightly flushed.

"What time is it...?" she whispered a bit confused about the time of day or night.

"It's about midnight, Princess." he whispered back and then his hand unknowingly moved the way he had been thinking about a moment ago.

He was terribly embarrassed, and he was about to apologise – when Marinette smiled at him and... kissed him. On the lips.

Cat Noir had a feeling as if he was still dreaming. It was so impossible that they were lying on the couch and just kissing. And he felt like he was in heaven.

"Marinette, I have to tell you something." He whispered, breaking the kiss and looking at her shyly.

She glanced at him amused, combing through his hair.

"You have to know who I am." He began, but she immediately became serious and protested:

"No, I can't! You mustn't tell me!"

"But we know each other, Marinette. I'm..." he began again, but she put her hand to his mouth and said quickly in panic:

"Don't! We can't know our identities!"

"Our?" he spotted, and his heart stopped for a moment. He looked at her carefully. "Bugaboo?" he took the risk.

"I-I said: 'your'. Your identity." Marinette stuttered and looked away. But before she did it, he'd seen the panic in her eyes.

"You said: 'our', Marinette." He repeated softly. "Besides, only Ladybug knows what I call her." He added with a smile.

"Stop..."

"Plagg, claws in..." Cat Noir whispered, and Marinette immediately closed her eyes.

"I hope you know, what you're doing, kid." Plagg commented wryly.

"I hope that too..." Adrien muttered, staring uncertainly at Marinette, who was still lying with eyes closed. Hearing his voice, she held her breath.

"No..." she whispered.

"Why not?" he replied quietly and smiled. "I've told you we know each other."

He leaned to kiss her, but hesitated. She stopped breathing again, but not opened her eyes. He smiled seeing her blush. Finally, he kissed her. She sighed and kissed him back and plunged her hands in his hair.

Happiness buzzed in his veins. She accepted him. Both as Cat Noir and as Adrien. Suddenly, he remembered the moment when Ladybug had heard his confession. Well, now it made sense!