6 - What's in Marinette that you treat her differently?

Adrien didn't understand anything now. He came back home feeling more emotionally torn after the talk with Marinette than he had felt before going to her. In fact, he couldn't even explain why he had gone there today. Just yesterday he had wanted to go to Marinette and blame the failure with Ladybug on her. He wanted to release all his frustration, disappointment and pain.

But then he talked to Kagami and decided to try to change the target. All his anger at Marinette disappeared somewhere. He needed her advice. Her support. And then... Then he was only confused. The whole date at the ice rink was like a disaster, those strange gestures of Luka's caring for Marinette, Kagami's possessive behaviour that was completely different he had expected... Finally, the fight with Frozer, when he could express all the anger directly on Ladybug... And even though he had told her how much he had been hurt, he couldn't leave her alone in the fight with the super-villain. She was still his partner. And he still loved her. Hopelessly. Without reciprocity. He realised that no roses and no scarves would change that. That's why he had to cancel his order...

He didn't cancel. What was worse – he made a scene as if he was jealous of all her admirers.

"What could she have on mind by saying that Luka is a very smart boy?" Adrien asked, making Plagg choke with camembert.

"You'll... kill... me... kid..."

"So, stop eating." Adrien advised.

"I have to protect my psyche somehow." Kwami answered back.

"She said that Luka was a very smart boy. Then she became silent..." the boy recalled again. "She said nothing more about our meeting at the ice rink. What could that mean?"

"But you said that she was just your friend, when I asked you about her at the bathroom's door." Kwami reminded and Adrien only gritted his teeth. "Why do you worry that a boy is trying to win her heart, and she admires him? It seems that because he's smart... Well, a matter of taste..."

"I'm not worried." Adrien lied, and realising how much he bended the truth he got worried even more.

"Yeah, sure..." Plagg snorted.

"I do think that Marinette is my friend. She thinks the same, I think. Remember when we were talking this afternoon? You know... After the meeting at the ice rink?"

"You mean your date?"

"The meeting." Adrien corrected, blushing.

"Whatever."

"So, I asked her if she wanted to go just with me. She denied immediately. On the other hand, she reproached me for treating her as just a friend."

"Well..." Plagg mumbled diplomatically.

"Could you help a little more constructively?"

"Believe me, Adrien. I wish I could. But I can't. I can't interfere in your relationship with... uhm... girls..."

"Really? And all those digs about Chloe and Kagami are what?"

"Oh, and Lila..." Plagg reminded himself and grinned. "Your biggest mistake."

"You didn't have any problems with interfering in my relations with them."

"That was different" kwami extricated himself.

"What's in Marinette that you treat her differently?"

"Oh, kid. I think that this question is for you, not me." Plagg replied, and flew away to his corner with stinking cheese, perfectly aware that Adrien wouldn't go there.

***

"What's in Marinette that you treat her differently?" – Adrien repeated this question in his head for half of night. Without the answer.

She was his best friend. He could always count on her. Sure, she tended to be clumsy, but it was charming in a way. In fact, he had learnt about the real her only yesterday evening, when she was arguing with him about the boys. He realised that she was quite easy with expressing her opinions. He had never noticed it before.

Perhaps because their conversations were usually a strange collection of stuttering and misunderstandings? Marinette had clearly made him understand that he was just a good friend to her. Whenever he'd said something nice to her, she answered with a monosyllable or a joke. When she suggested next meeting at the ice rink, and he asked if they were to go alone on it, she immediately turned it into a group meeting. With Kagami and Luka. Except that he'd already known that Kagami was a mistake. But what if Marinette tried to inform him that Luka was someone special to her?

Suddenly a thought occurred to him. He remembered the evening when he had visited Marinette on her balcony. She told him then about a boy she was in love with. Did she mean Luka Couffaine?

He called himself to order immediately. Why did he treat this so emotionally? It was good that she'd finally went out with that boy, wasn't it? Luka was kind, warm and had artistic soul – like Marinette. They seemed to be a perfect match. So, everything was OK – Adrien stayed by his target, Marinette by hers.

Adrien sighed. He remembered the moment when he had to tell Kagami that he wouldn't change his target. Well, she didn't look quite convinced, since she offered to wait – just in case he changed his mind. And when she said that, she glanced quickly at Marinette.

He gasped. Did it look like that? That Marinette was his crush? That was ridiculous! He almost burst out laughing. Suddenly, he realised why Kagami had never liked Marinette. That was a huge misunderstanding!

But the first thought provoked the next ones. What if Marinette thought the same? That he felt something to her? What if she wanted to tell him that she preferred Luka?

Adrien sighed again. That was a mess. He shouldn't be distracted by such thoughts. Let's stick to the plan. Marinette would finish the scarf, he'd give it to Ladybug and she'd fall in love with him. Yes, that was a very good plan. No more roses and confessions! Just listen what Marinette was saying. And wait for the scarf.

"Can you finally go to sleep?!" Plagg muttered wryly.

"You know I'm awake?"

"Well, you sigh every five minutes..."

"Everything's fine. I've finally got it."

"Really?" Kwami was surprised.

"I've followed your advice and I've thought over what Marinette told me. I've realised that she clearly wanted to tell me what she felt."

"Well..." Plagg grinned.

"And I've come to the conclusion that Luka is that mysterious boy she's in love with. Now it's clear for me that she treats me as a schoolmate only. But I could act like I was interested in her more as a girlfriend than a colleague. Especially, when I asked if she wanted to go to the ice rink next time only with me... And I thought then... - suddenly he stopped, embarrassed. – So, she suggested that...

But Plagg stopped listening. He rolled his eyes and murmured:

"I'm going to kill myself..."

And went to sleep.