Four: Goryeo (고려)

It has been many weeks since leaving your native land of France.

You had known the road would be arduous and long, but never would have expected this. Every day was filled with miles upon miles of traveling on harsh terrain through barely documented lands. It was fortunate the voyage was taking place during the late spring or climactic weather would have made you question if you could actually reach Goryeo alive.

You were stuck in your bumpy carriage without a shower and minimal entertainment for hours on end, living for the moments when the entourage halted its wandering to make camp at night. This was when you were finally able to exit your wooden 'prison-on-wheels.' Whenever you were able to exit the wagon, you first priority was taking in the sights of your surroundings, which constantly proved fascinating.

The lands you have passed through were highly variable and unique, ranging from green wooded forests, golden desolate desserts, snowy mountain ranges, and grassy costal prairies. You couldn't help the amazement you felt from each new and unfamiliar vista. The world was truly much bigger than the stone castles you have been locked in your entire life...

How would you ever go back?

However, you weren't able to take in the astounding views until sunset as you would wish to because the late afternoon had become your 'lesson time.' Unlike the ridiculous lessons Lady Foy had given you about being a proper princess, these trainings were actually useful for when you arrive in Goryeo and meet Emperor Kim.

Your uncle, and surprisingly, also Michault, were your tutors during thesesessions. They taught you the native language, customary expectations, and required etiquette. Structured decorum was a greater practice in Goryeo than in France, and that was astonishing considering you are a princess. To be honest, you were truly fearing the possibility of you would mess something up on accident. The last thing you want is to disrespect your royal hosts.

However, once the trainings were over for the night, you were able to engage in more enjoyable activities.

Today, you had just finished language tutoring with Michault. Your oldest friend wasspending a great deal of his time with you. He would tell his men he was remaining close for your protection, but both of you knew he just wanted to spend time with you.

Both you and he enjoyed reminiscing about the past and meaningful moments of your childhood together, but also made a point to catching up for lost time. Knowing more about how each other has changed during the years you spent apart until now.

You had never known before, but Michault had been a part of your uncle's last company to Goryeo. He acquired the knowledge of the area and natives well, making him a great teacher during your lessons and other skills.

"What would you like to do now, Princess?" Michault asked as he closed up the small book of Goryean language he used during lessons.

You groaned in disgust, "Don't call me Princess."

"Have to keep up the façade of respect, don't I?" he gave you an impish grin.

You widened your eyes and you crossed your arms over your chest stubbornly, "So you don't respect me, huh, soldier?"

"I wouldn't say that exactly..." he continued to grin while leaning back against the tree behind him.

"Well maybe I need to kick some manners into your insolent ass," you spat as you stood from the hard dirt ground and placed your hands on your hips.

"What does that mean, Princess?" he pushed further while staring up lazily at you.

A scowl crossed your face, "Spar with me. Now."