Six: Ilgob Wangja (일곱 왕자)

You waited patiently in your room to meet Emperor Kim trying diligently to calm your nerves.

It had been over an hour since you had finished primping and priming your appearance to perfection and nearly four hours since arriving in Goryeo. The Emperor had a hectic schedule, which you understood, but all of this sitting around was triggering your anxiety. You needed to get this introduction over with.

As paced around the sitting room, a knock finally echoed off your chamber door.

Straightening yourself up, you quickly smoothed out your dress and checked to make sure your crown was aligned properly on your head before striking a presentable pose with your hands folded under your chest,

"Enter," you finally spoke, trying to mask the shakiness of your voice.

The door opened and Commander Minsuk walked just inside the opening with Michault right behind him. They both bowed deeply as they greeted your presence respectfully.

"Princess—" the Commander addressed you, but stopped short as he lifted his head.

His stoic face twisted uncharacteristically as his eyes practically popped out of his head. It seemed he couldn't control himself as he ran his eyes up and down your figure, taking a deep gulp as he did so. You glanced over at Michault in confusion, just to be met with an expression that mirrored the Commander's.

What's wrong? Do you not look presentable enough to meet the Emperor?

"Is everything alright, Commander?" you asked the befuddled man slowly.

"Y-Yes!" he replied quickly as he nervously shook his head, "T-The Emperor is ready for you."

You breathed deeply, "Take me to his majesty."

He nodded, both him and Michault stepping aside for you to exit the room. The Commander began leading the way down the long hall and you noticed his effort to not look directly at you. The behavior was peculiar and made you self-conscious. The last thing you wanted was to meet the Emperor when you didn't look presentable.

"Do I look that bad?" you whispered to Michault who was walking to your side.

He glanced over at you, uneasily clearing his throat before replying.

"It's... It's not that," he said hesitantly.

"Then what is it?" you pushed.

"It's actually because, uh..." he paused struggling to find the proper phrasing, "Because you look incredible."

You raised your brows at him in surprise, "Really?"

He chuckled as his face crossed with temporary amusement, "You don't know how beautiful you are, do you?"

Michault's words stunned you even further as you snapped your head over to him with wide eyes. Just as you were about to question him further, a booming voice interrupted you.

"Princess!" your uncle exclaimed as you reached the large, closed doors before what you could only assume was the royal throne room.

He examined your appearance with a satisfied look as he took your hands in his own.

"Exquisite," he hummed in approval, "Emperor Kim will be quite pleased."

You smiled nervously back at him, although you were happy to have his confidence.

"Now," he spoke a little more seriously as he began to refresh you on what to expect when meeting the Emperor, "I will be going in before you and you will follow afterward alone. All you have to do is remember the etiquette we taught you and you will be fine. Stay calm and show that sparkling personality our French people love so much. I have all confidence the Emperor will be completely smitten with you upon first sight."